• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey Parrot Cage

sophie09

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie
Hi!
I'm going to get an African grey and am wondering what cage to get for it. I have looked at several websites Kings Cages, A&E, etc. but the cages that would be suitable for a larger birds are thousands of dollars. If you have any larger birds and have cage recommendations please let me know!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Yes, big cages are expensive but think of it as a long term investment. African grays have the potential to live a very long time and it is a long commitment. Rather than updating the cage three times, invest in a good one. That being said, you can start with getting the biggest one you can afford and then prepare to save up and upgrade as you can. My African gray has been through three cages, two of which were way too small (thankfully he pretty much only slept in them). The last one was a gift from my then fiancé now husband and he has been in it for almost 25 years. Also you can look for a used one.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's important to remember that powder coating on cages is safe - but the metals under them aren't. A cheap cage may save you money initially, but if the powder coating breaks down in less than 5 years, you will need to replace it or resurface it to protect your bird. Heavy metal poisoning can be deadly, and expensive to treat. So starting off with an appropriate cage in both terms of size and quality is going to save you money in the long run.

This is probably the cheapest for the size you need:
Other possibilities
4040FL Macaw Flight Cage Black

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How does the coating break down?! I haven't seen any worn spots on my cages, but will keep an eye out.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How does the coating break down?! I haven't seen any worn spots on my cages, but will keep an eye out.
Constant chewing or rubbing the beak in the same area is a big one. Or if it gets wet alot especially under the water bowl area is a big one I've seen just the constant moisture will break it down depending how the quality is.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Chewing and rubbing mostly, also some cleaners/abrasive cloths, etc :) My Hahns would chip the powder coating and rubbed her beak over the same spot a lot which wore it down.

TisonA

Moving in
Hi!
I'm going to get an African grey and am wondering what cage to get for it. I have looked at several websites Kings Cages, A&E, etc. but the cages that would be suitable for a larger birds are thousands of dollars. If you have any larger birds and have cage recommendations please let me know!
eBay has some nice wrought iron cages, get one that is large and has a stand on top.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I got my Greys cage 2nd hand and it was cheap about 400.00 ..Its about 3 ft x 3 ft x 5 ft high ..the bigger the better for these guys :)

kriss

Moving in
Real Name
William kriss
Hi!

Attachments

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Right now since you don't yet have the bird, my suggestion is that you think about and figure out how much it will cost to take care of that bird (food, treats, supplies, toys, as well as a monthly vet allotment for savings) and start putting that money away monthly. It will give you a feel if you truly can support a parrot and then when you have done that long enough that you can afford the cage, then you have a great cage, a small vet fund and the knowledge that you are truly ready to take on the life long (and long it is) responsibility of a Grey. If, after several months you find yourself unable to put the money away (for whatever reason because sometimes life is like that), the you can reconsider your options. Maybe you start with a smaller bird, or delay your procurement for awhile, or say this is not what you had in mind. In the meantime, you can also look at rescues and/or breeders and find out where a good avian vet is located near you. Don't give up on your dream but plan.... Patience will pay off a thousand times....