• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey Has Red Spot On Foot

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
So, I’ve recently noticed that my African Grey: Ms. Bailey has developed red spots on the tops of her feet. They look to be sores. She sleeps in a cat-bed since she can’t fit in regular, parrot-huts and she has recently laid infertile eggs that she has been sitting on for a while now. I noticed the sores a few days ago. Are these bed-sores? What do I do? How do I treat them?

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The picture of the feet is not light or clear enough for me sorry.

I just wanted to say something about the cat bed…. Bin it!
Birds should be on perches, and unfortunately as cute as them huts are to many people they’re totally unnecessary and seriously deadly they’re a huge problem for our pet birds in more ways than one.

Can you post some clearer feet pics with better lighting?

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
The picture of the feet is not light or clear enough for me sorry.

I just wanted to say something about the cat bed…. Bin it!
Birds should be on perches, and unfortunately as cute as them huts are to many people they’re totally unnecessary and seriously deadly they’re a huge problem for our pet birds in more ways than one.

Can you post some clearer feet pics with better lighting?
Alright, I will. I just got so paranoid about her getting cold with her chest being bald and all. I took another picture and zoomed in. I hope this one’s easier to see.

Attachments

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
I would definitely have a vet look at that honey..I've not seen anything like that..
Okay, I’ll book her an appointment. Sucks the vets aren’t open on Sunday! Ugh! Does this look emergency vet worthy? I am honestly freaking out!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yeah I totally agree with birdbabe about getting that looked at by a vet. I have no idea what it’s from nor what could have caused it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Okay, I’ll book her an appointment. Sucks the vets aren’t open on Sunday! Ugh! Does this look emergency vet worthy? I am honestly freaking out!
How long has it been there? Has it always looked like that?

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
How long has it been there? Has it always looked like that?
three to four days. I thought it was just food on her at first until I noticed it wasn’t going away and saw it up close.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it were my bird… I’d personally just try to keep it extremely clean as well as making sure her areas of use are very clean.
I don’t know if I’d be racing for an emergency vet today unless there was bleeding, infection, pain or it looked and smelled real iffy (like necrotic etc) but that is a call you’re going to have to make- I can’t make it for you.
I can appreciate and imagine you are stressed and want the best for her, in my case the emergency vet is more than 4 hrs and my boy travels horribly so I’d use all known factors about the current situation to make my decision about waiting 24 more hours to take him to the vet that is 1-2hrs away or racing to medical help 4 hrs away right now.

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
If it were my bird… I’d personally just try to keep it extremely clean as well as making sure her areas of use are very clean.
I don’t know if I’d be racing for an emergency vet today unless there was bleeding, infection, pain or it looked and smelled real iffy (like necrotic etc) but that is a call you’re going to have to make- I can’t make it for you.
I can appreciate and imagine you are stressed and want the best for her, in my case the emergency vet is more than 4 hrs and my boy travels horribly so I’d use all known factors about the current situation to make my decision about waiting 24 more hours to take him to the vet that is 1-2hrs away or racing to medical help 4 hrs away right now.
They just seem to be scabs. She’s being a real sport, letting me examine them and photograph them, lol. They don’t seem to be causing her any pain; she’s still acting like herself. My E.V. is a lot closer where I am but I think she’ll be fine for one more day. I just wish I had more info on this for the time being, you know? The unknown is what bothers me most.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would maybe just give them a call and see if they class this situation as an emergency.
I often find that calling to ask a few questions gives me enough information to ease my mind and it gives the vet enough info to tell me if it is more serious than I originally thought, there have also been a few times I have been able to send pics to the vet when I have had a concern (cat, birds and dogs) and they have been able to tell me they are happy to wait a few days to check them out or to come in now, once my vet pretty much told me to just throw my dog in the car forget her seatbelt and pretty much speed there so I made it in time for her to best be helped and we did manage to get there with just enough time for the vet to reverse the problem without a great heap of serious procedures or medications. We do not know what it was that caused it but my dog had an anaphylactic reaction- she now has anti histamines to take before I call the vet for this problem.
All my dribble to say that I think a call to the emergency vet may be a good idea and give you some peace of mind

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
I would maybe just give them a call and see if they class this situation as an emergency.
I often find that calling to ask a few questions gives me enough information to ease my mind and it gives the vet enough info to tell me if it is more serious than I originally thought, there have also been a few times I have been able to send pics to the vet when I have had a concern (cat, birds and dogs) and they have been able to tell me they are happy to wait a few days to check them out or to come in now, once my vet pretty much told me to just throw my dog in the car forget her seatbelt and pretty much speed there so I made it in time for her to best be helped and we did manage to get there with just enough time for the vet to reverse the problem without a great heap of serious procedures or medications. We do not know what it was that caused it but my dog had an anaphylactic reaction- she now has anti histamines to take before I call the vet for this problem.
All my dribble to say that I think a call to the emergency vet may be a good idea and give you some peace of mind
Alright, I’ll give it a try.