• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey Diet cooked or raw?

TAG-Aviary

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Angel
Hello everyone, I’m prepping for my new baby soon and so I want to make sure I have good food knowledge. When is comes down to fresh fruits and vegetables I know everything that is okay and hazardous.
But my question is this, Are there any foods that should or shouldn’t be cooked when given.

For example, I know pasta is okay and I’ve seen videos of people feeding both raw and cooked pasta. Is this okay or is it only supposed to be a certain way.
I just want to make sure I’ve providing the best possible diet and care as I want the new arrival to live a good and healthy life.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You need to cook potatoes and sweet potatoes before you give them to your parrot. Sweet potato is very healthy, and enjoyed by many parrots.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Beans need to be cooked. I can't recall if all legumes fit that rule, though.

Pasta is pasta, I wouldn't give much either way. I would think dry it would have a satisfying crack and crunch.

People who know more will chime in...

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Give as much raw as you can, but like Kelly says beans must be cooked.
I make both raw and cocked chops for mine combined with sprouts, seeds and pellets.
I also give them fresh juice to make sure they get their vit A. (I have a own juicer and mostly make carrot juice)
Some days week I give mine hard-boiled eggs but also egg-food. (vit D)

Pasta isn't parrot food. Raw pasta is more a toy. I give mine one each and all they do is to chew it to pieces.
Berries are great. You can add small amounts of Basmati rice, but not every day.
Pomegranates are often popular. Herbs are great.
I buy a a lot of organic seeds in my food store that I soak over night or sprout for them. Like wheat, hemp seed, buckwheat, mungbeans, lentils, peas, sesame seed, quinoa, oats, rye, barley and also pumpkin seeds.

This is their food:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I can't wait for Monaco to enjoy that list!

scott199

Walking the driveway
Sweet potato ? Does it need to be cooked ?
Is there a reason why ?
My grey is really fussy with veg, he will eat carrots, broccoli, green beans but that’s about all and only a nibble, I cooked carrots, broccoli and sweet potato yesterday and he freaked and wouldn’t touch any of it, every time he touched it he spent minutes cleaning his beak, it almost looked like he hated the mushiness of it all.

so can I feed sweet potato raw ?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Sweet potato ? Does it need to be cooked ?
Is there a reason why ?
My grey is really fussy with veg, he will eat carrots, broccoli, green beans but that’s about all and only a nibble, I cooked carrots, broccoli and sweet potato yesterday and he freaked and wouldn’t touch any of it, every time he touched it he spent minutes cleaning his beak, it almost looked like he hated the mushiness of it all.

so can I feed sweet potato raw ?
I think it's got something to do with the juice between the skin and the flesh when it's raw. Specifically for the sweet potato. Yes, it needs to be cooked. Don't give up! It can take a week or two for Monaco to try things that I put in her dish every day. It's a long road. It is frustrating and worrying to wonder if they're eating enough. Monaco lost about 20 grams in the first 2 months. When you find things he will eat, use it to your advantage, and add new things in small portions... I have a routine now, I rotate the new things after 2 weeks or when I run out of it. I offer them again eventually. And, I make her bowl like a kids plate...usually things are not mingled so that she will still be okay with her favorite ones. Yours may be a less picky. I consider it a victory if she doesn't growl, grab it and fling it like her life depends on it. He'll get there.

TAG-Aviary

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Angel
Give as much raw as you can, but like Kelly says beans must be cooked.
I make both raw and cocked chops for mine combined with sprouts, seeds and pellets.
I also give them fresh juice to make sure they get their vit A. (I have a own juicer and mostly make carrot juice)
Some days week I give mine hard-boiled eggs but also egg-food. (vit D)

Pasta isn't parrot food. Raw pasta is more a toy. I give mine one each and all they do is to chew it to pieces.
Berries are great. You can add small amounts of Basmati rice, but not every day.
Pomegranates are often popular. Herbs are great.
I buy a a lot of organic seeds in my food store that I soak over night or sprout for them. Like wheat, hemp seed, buckwheat, mungbeans, lentils, peas, sesame seed, quinoa, oats, rye, barley and also pumpkin seeds.

This is their food:

What would you recommend for a lunch meal while I am away at work. Would just pellets be okay? Or do you recommend mixing it with something else as well? Planned on doing one with vitamin D.

I planned on doing fresh for breakfast and dinner just looking for something sustainable while I’m gone for 10 hours.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine love cooked food, pasta especially. Make sure pasta is veggie (colored) pasta.
I wish mine would eat raw better, they say warm cooked food can cause hormonal flare ups.
Potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes and beans all need cooked. I found this post from @Mizzely explaining why.
All potatoes should be cooked. This is because raw potatoes have enzyme (protease) prohibitors that will block enzymes from breaking down fooods into nutrients. Thus they are harder to digest. The Starch in a raw potato also tends to sit in the crop or intestines which can ferment and lead to health issues.
I feed turnips, parsnips, carrots, green beans, snap peas, peppers, squash, broccoli, cauliflower, corn and squash, raw and cooked.
Mine won't touch cabbage or brussels sprouts. Nor will they eat any kind of greens like kale or romaine. :(
Almost all fruit is good.
They say rhubarb and avocado's could be toxic. I don't feed to be safe.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I planned on doing fresh for breakfast and dinner just looking for something sustainable while I’m gone for 10 hours.
If I have to be gone for 10 hrs mine get seed, pellets, dried fruit and veggies.
It's all about how much time you are willing to spend.
I dry all my veggies and fruit because bought contain sugar.
Often I dry bigger parts and make a whole in them first so I can place them on a skewer.
So they will both have more healthy food available but also something to do.