• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarhefka

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie
I have an African Gray that makes winning noises when she wants attention and is always rubbing her beak on my husbands hands. Is this normal? She does it only with him, I can't get near her, she always is ready to attack me. Also is there any way to break her of rejecting me? She is about 2 and a half years old. Thanks Stephanie :huh:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Stephanie sounds like she looks at your husband as a mate. My Grey is going through this with me right now. I am trying to ignore it (not easy) and I try to distract him with a toy or a walk around the house. Is it on and off that she does this or all the time? When they are hormonal they will want their precieved mate so now she wont want anything to do with you if that is what is going on. Your best bet would be to try and work with her when this hormonal behavior subsides. Is she a DNA'd female?

smarhefka

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie
Yes, she is like that all the time with me. I am trying to work with her, and trying to be patient. Yes she has been sexed as a female. How long will she be hormonal? Thanks Stephanie

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Stephanie,
You have to keep trying with her. She may never love you and may never even like you. When your husband isn't around play games with her, give treats, make toys with her. She will accept you. If you take her to a neutral area, an area she doesn't spend time in, work on clicker training her on a T-stand or something.

My BG hates me and my husband is her first love, but I can handle her, play with her etc..

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
You also may need to accept that this bird may be bonded to your husband and may just tolerate you. Crystal (mcbirds) has an African Grey that is totally bonded to her hubby and just tolerates her. I have a Quaker that was my first birds before I started my rescue. I bought her at 4 weeks and I handfed her and weaned her. She totally bonded to my dad, laid and egg for him and everything. She will step up on me when he is not around but she will totally reject me when he is around. This is fine because that is her person and she is happy with him.

You should continue working with her and giving her treats so she knows that you mean good things, however, you may never have the same bond with her that she shares with your husband.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
The hormone thing is on and off. Probably some other people can tell you more specific than me. Normally my birds do not exhibit hormonal behavior like my Grey is this go around. :(

M

M.C Bird Rescue

You also may need to accept that this bird may be bonded to your husband and may just tolerate you. Crystal (mcbirds) has an African Grey that is totally bonded to her hubby and just tolerates her. I have a Quaker that was my first birds before I started my rescue. I bought her at 4 weeks and I handfed her and weaned her. She totally bonded to my dad, laid and egg for him and everything. She will step up on me when he is not around but she will totally reject me when he is around. This is fine because that is her person.
You should continue working with her and giving her treats so she knows that you mean good things, however, you may never have the same bond with her that she shares with you husband.
This is true..I am Crystal and we actually have 2 African Greys here at the moment that LOVE men and tolerate me. One of the biggest issues is dealing with the bites from a protective bird. You must still interact even if you are being rejected. This happens, and you must be prepared with treats and heart ache. YOU will not be the love of this birds life..but your husband is! Work on a play stand with him, stick train..what are you doing now to try and make a friendship with him?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have an African Gray that makes winning noises when she wants attention and is always rubbing her beak on my husbands hands. Is this normal? She does it only with him, I can't get near her, she always is ready to attack me. Also is there any way to break her of rejecting me? She is about 2 and a half years old. Thanks Stephanie :huh:
Hi Stephanie,

You've gotten some really good input. If you haven't yet seen it, you might want to take a look at this article:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/behavior-byway/8933-sex-psittacine.html

Status
Not open for further replies.