• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

African Gray with breathing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
The GSE and ACV do not take the place of a vet visit. Only use one or the other not both at the same time, they both help with possible fungal or bacterial infections but do not take the place of the correct medications. I'm trying to help you between now and when you see your avian vet.

wbrown5

Moving in
Here are the medications she was on:
We started her with Baytril/Dex Elixer .2 ML 2x/day for 5 days
Then we tried Baytril .1ML 2x/day for 10 days.
Followed that with SMZ liquid .2ML 2x/day for 10 days
Finally we tried dex elizer .1ML 2x/day for 7 days, .1Ml 1x/day for 7 days the .1ML every other day.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I'm not familier with the Dex elizer. The SMZ is for a urinary tract infection. From what you are posting it appears to be respiratory problem.

Reviewing the med further it is also used for respiratory infections. I found the drug in my cabinet, it is Bactrim. This is a very powerful antibiotic and can be used for even a MRSA infection. Wish I new what the Dex elizer was.

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
All those are antibiotics and then a drug that helps with decreased adrenal gland function. I think an anti-fungal would be a logical next step. Definitely have your vet consult with an AV if you can't get to see one.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gary, I believe the Dex elixer is Dexamethasone(corticosteroid). Probably given as an anti inflammatory for the air sacs and if the really is fluid around the heart.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Wanda welcome to AA!

I do not have anything to add to the wonderful advice you have gotten here, I do however believe it is impairative that you can at least get the consult done, your bird is in distress and needs a resolution sooner rather than later.

Best of luck!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
One other thought I had today. As the weather is turning colder and the heat is on in your home, you need to monitor the humidity. There would be nothing worse than dry air for your bird right now. If you dont have a hygrometer, you should get one. You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart or Lowes etc. The humidity should be around 55-60% for our birds in the winter months. A humidifier will keep the humidity comfortable not only for your birds but for you as well. Just follow strict cleaning instructions for keeping your humidifier clean so as to not introduce airborne bacteria into the air. Please update us when you can.

wbrown5

Moving in
Zazu suggested a leaky air sac could be Cricket's problem. She did have a fall around the time this all started. Can anyone give me more information on this thought?
Thanks Zazu!!!!!:D I think this might be it!!

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, a leaky air sac should be able to be detected with a stethoscope.

I have other information for you once I can contact you by email. I have asked a moderator to pass my email address to you.

Gary

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Go to the top of this page and click on the tab (arrow) notifications. Follow this to your private messages and read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.