• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

African Gray with breathing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbrown5

Moving in
I have an 11 year old african gray parrot named Cricket that I adopted 4 1/2 years ago.
In Jan 2011 she began having breathing problems. She sounds like a goose and makes the noise constantly day and night. I have had her to 2 different vets in my area. They both did xrays, blood work and tried varous medications, but nothing seemed to work. I doctored with each for several months with no changes in Cricket's condition. The one vet admitted she had no idea what else to try and the the second vet felt maybe Cricket had a tumor (or possible cancer) since there was a fuzziness in her xray around the heart.
Cricket basically seems normal. She is eating and drinking. She bathes and grooms herself. Her eating over the past 2 days has lessened though. Her mouth is constantly opened and her tail feathers are moving with each breath. She also makes a clicking noise at times. I don't know what I can do to help her. Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Everyone I invited Wanda here. She lives in a very rural area where no avian vets are. Her bird has been seen by two vets. She is still having breathing problems. I was wondering asper?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Was she tested for aspergillosis? Do you run an air filter near her?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Welcome and so sorry to hear your Grey is having issues. Do you have a good quality air purifier? She is definatley having some serious breathing problems. Is there a nearby city you could drive to to see an avian vet? I am hoping some more experienced people on here see this and can offer you some advice.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It does sound a lot like asper. This has been going on for quite a while now without any successful treatment. That does not bode well I'm afraid to say. The condition (whatever it is) has obviously advanced to a critical point now. She needs to be treated by an avian vet that has more insight into what this could possibly be. If there isn't one around, some kind of phone/video/email consultation with one is in order.

It does sound like it's becoming critical. Time is of the essence.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
What about having one of her vets do a phone consult with an avian vet? Who's that AV that does the phone consults? Anyone?

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like I said, the honking sounds like it is asper. She will have to drive 3-5 hours to an avian vet.:(

wbrown5

Moving in
My vets told me Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are the closest and that 3-5 hours away from where I live

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Asper can present in many different ways. Has your bird ever been on an antifungal?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Do you want to tell us what city you live in? At this point I wouldnt think your vets know everything they should. Maybe there is one closer or certainly they could do a phone consultation. This really is urgent and your bird needs a diagnosis yesterday. :hug8:

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

Most regular vets will consultant with an avian vet via phone with no cost to you if they aren't successful treating the bird. I recommend you try that because an AV would be much more knowledgeable and it sounds like that is what you need at this point.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Should it be a bacterial or fungal infection she is going to need antibiotics and an antifungal. Asper can be treated with a antifungal such as itraconazole or another azole, Lamisil (terbinifine) is also effective. Many vets will suggest nebulizing the medications. A vet to vet consult is my recommendation and make sure she asks about a nebulizer.

If it were one of mine I would add either 1tsp of ACV in a pint of water or 3 drops of GSE in a pint of water. Both are safe we used them here many times. Always make sure the bird is drink the water if you add anything to it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It could be a number of things. With out proper testing and diagnosis it's just a guessing game. For example a liver condition "can" produce symptoms like that too.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wanda, ACV is apple cider vinegar(Braggs with the mother in it), GSE is Grapefruit seed extract.
Pat, I provided a link with all PA avian vets.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Wanda-do you mind posting where about you are? I'm 30-45 minutes from Philadelphia. If you find a vet in that area and you need help with transportation, I would be willing to help.

Judy-
Ginger had highly recommended Dr. Burkett for Chuchi/Qaiser on FB so maybe a consult from him would help? I think Qaiser did a Skype type thing from Pakistan.

wbrown5

Moving in
Thanks for translating that for me. I will try those to see if it helps.
Wanda, ACV is apple cider vinegar(Braggs with the mother in it), GSE is Grapefruit seed extract.
Pat, I provided a link with all PA avian vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.