• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African gray refusing to go out of cage

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Im so glad things are working out for her she is beautiful ;)
Thank you! Yes i think so too, she is very beautiful! Hmm i’m not even 100% sure she is a she. Might have to get him/her dna tested again as the previous owners forgot her gender :facepalm:.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmm i’m not even 100% sure she is a she. Might have to get him/her dna tested again as the previous owners forgot her gender :facepalm:.
That was the first thing I had done with my rescues (amazons). Vet said it would help to know if bird was a she during any medical issues that would arise.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
That was the first thing I had done with my rescues (amazons). Vet said it would help to know if bird was a she during any medical issues that would arise.
Did you go to an avian vet or are normal vets okay? Only one avian vet here in the whole country thankfully it is a 4 hour drive there. I could always send my own feather/blood sample but I usually do so with a friend that is used to doing this as i am a softy and cant properly do it.

i am thinking of taking dolly to the avian vet anyway since i think her feathers might be breaking a bit too easily. Im not sure if she is aggressively preening or if her feathers are just weak. I spied on her preening and she is not even biting them off and they were being sheered off little by little, one ‘barb’ at a time. They were tiny, maybe that is why i didn’t even notice the smaller ones.

i might have to stay overnight to go to the avian vet. I will have to get her a proper travel cage where she can stay for longer periods in, acclimate her to it too. Also some household members got covid so I have to self quarantine for awhile also means i can’t get the friend to take dna samples.

could her 7 year bad diet take a toll on her feathers now a year later? Or is my food not complete enough? They told me she was only eating sunflower seeds there.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I went to an avian vet.

See my user name? I had never been around a bird when we rescued 2 wild caught blue front amazons. Both wound up dna male! We thought Secret was female because the bird was smaller. We gave up and just call Secret a female. Relatives tell me that's why the bird is rather angry, we don't recognize that she is actually a he.

I hate sunflower seeds. I also don't like peanuts.

Birds feed off our anxieties. Remember that.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
I went to an avian vet.

See my user name? I had never been around a bird when we rescued 2 wild caught blue front amazons. Both wound up dna male! We thought Secret was female because the bird was smaller. We gave up and just call Secret a female. Relatives tell me that's why the bird is rather angry, we don't recognize that she is actually a he.

I hate sunflower seeds. I also don't like peanuts.

Birds feed off our anxieties. Remember that.
thanks! i will.

im not a fan of sunflower seeds and peanuts for birds either, took awhile for dolly to start eating something other than sunflower seeds though, after converting her to other foods she is now not too interested in sunflower seeds and prefers other food.

Ill try to dna test him/her, the name dolly sounded more like a girl to me so thats why i went with her. Previous owners said that Dolly was not even supposed to be named dolly. They had a macaw named Polly in with her and they rarely call her by her real name "gray" so all she heard was polly polly polly so she thought she was also polly, thats how the name dolly came about. girl or boy, i guess she will always be dolly as that is the name he/she knows.