• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Affordable and simple home oxygen therapy

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I haven't put Rudy in it yet. He has varying energy levels and may possibly have a heart condition, as noticed on his xrays. Anyway this evening he gets a 15 min session in it. @Hankmacaw and @Macawnutz introduced this device to me and use it for their macaws. I thought i ordered a 50 qt container but it was only 30 qts. Big enough for my small birds. Its this in the ultra quiet model

DeVilbiss Oxygen Concentrator | BUY Home Oxygen Concentrators - 525DS - 525SRE.

The humidity bottle is empty, the actual hose connector was leaking so I'm using this bottle as a connector and it doesn't leak.

devilbiss.jpg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Can you prove you ordered the 50 qt container? Makes me wonder if they knew it leaked and just sort of passed it on to you. I certainly would investigate it.
i wasn't clear, sorry. the container is from amazon. it was late night i ordered it and thought the 30 read 50. totally my mistake!
As for the leaky connector, it's a one dollar part and I'm sure there was no intent to decieve :). I'll call tomorrow and see if it's user error or defective.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hope the oxygen helps Rudy feel better.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Will he be ok to stay in there or will he freak out? Good luck, hope it helps him.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Will he be ok to stay in there or will he freak out? Good luck, hope it helps him.
He was fine while the machine was running, then when I turned it off and started talking to him while he was still in the box he started gagging. I don't know if it's because the box is too small, or if it was his usual regurgitation in response to attention. Anyway I let him out and he's doing fine. To reach the vet recommended level of oxygen in our size tub it only takes 7 minutes of it running at level 1, by our calculations. For Rudy she wants the O2 at. 50% saturation,
After being in the tub with the machine running for 7 minutes he sits in the tub for half hour with the machine turned off.

Last edited:

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
He was fine while the machine was running, then when I turned it off and started talking to him while he was still in the box he started gagging. I don't know if it's because the box is too small, or if it was his usual regurgitation in response to attention. Anyway I let him out and he's doing fine. To reach the vet recommended level of oxygen in our size tub it only takes 7 minutes of it running at level 1, by our calculations. For Rudy she wants the O2 at. 50% saturation,
After being in the tub with the machine running for 7 minutes he sits in the tub for half hour with the machine turned off.
That is great that it works, hope he will not gag anymore. I am claustrophobic , the thought of being in there makes me gag :( . I love that you give him this therapy and hope he recovers.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
That is great that it works, hope he will not gag anymore. I am claustrophobic , the thought of being in there makes me gag :( . I love that you give him this therapy and hope he recovers.
I'm ordering the 50 qt now.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that the oxygen treatments help Rudy.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I hope that the oxygen treatments help Rudy.
Thanks Matt. The X-ray opinion was that of just one avian vet, my vet says if she sends it elsewhere she may get a different diagnosis. Anyway his energy level varies from day to day so I am trying to boost him up.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
I'm ordering the 50 qt now.
Oh no no, I did not mean to say I think it is too small, I am sure it is fine, the idea to have to be in a container is just frightening to me. I hope that birds don't think that way.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oh no no, I did not mean to say I think it is too small, I am sure it is fine, the idea to have to be in a container is just frightening to me. I hope that birds don't think that way.
No worries! I know you didn't say that, but I had meant to order the bigger size but goofed!:)

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
What conditions do your birds have that require O2 therapy?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I hope it helps little Rudy!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
What conditions do your birds have that require O2 therapy?
I feel he is not as active as he used to be, once in a while he is energetic. His aortic arch according to one vet is slightly distended. His blood work and chem panel is normal. I was hoping to boost his energy.

@Macawnutz and @Hankmacaw can explain why Rosie (76) and Jasper (23) macaws need oxygen.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope this helps him :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope this makes him feel better and keeps his energy up!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the Rudy's possible cardiac issue. Is your vet going to send his report to another vet for a second opinion? Hope that the oxygen therapy will be beneficial for him!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@AviaryByTheSea @saroj12

My Jasper (23 yo GW) has congestive heart disease and extensive atherosclerosis. She had the CHD when I got her at 6 1/2 years old and developed the atherosclerosis over the years. She has been on Enalipril, and then Benazipril for her circulatory disease for 17 years and she is doing well. She has had several bouts with infections and retaining fluids due to her heart and circulation over the years.

When Dr. Driggers first diagnosed her he told me that if she were a human she would be on a heart transplant list and when I asked him how long she would live, he said he had seen birds in her condition live 5 years. So there is hope for your baby and much of Jaspers success has been due to the medications she has been on. Medicine saves lives.

@Macawnutz is right the O2 for birds with the conditions that ours have is a godsend. Jasper gets one hour in the morning and one hour at night in the O2 box.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Hopefully this help the lil guy :)