• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Affectionate bird suggestions?

Deeds

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Codi
Hi everyone!

This is my first post ever, I'm excited to have found this website! My husband and I just got our first IRN last week, she is about 3 months old and has so much personality. We originally got a bird so I could have a companion as I work at home and hate being alone! After doing our research and meeting many birds at our breeder's home we chose her for her sweet curious disposition and the fact that she will just hang out with us. I was the only one to meet her first because my husband was at work, and she was so sweet and cooed at me and just loved me! But turns out after Indie met my husband she just tolerates me and LOVES my husband. When he walks in the room she coos and coos and when he holds her she snuggles into him. It's very sweet but honestly makes me sad! She gives me hell the whole day when I'm alone with her. She looks at me like I'm her competition almost it's so strange, but even so most of the time she wants to be out with me or will step up fine. But she has bitten good size chunks out of my fingers, and screams at me when my husband is in a different room than us. We have noticed she has this same behavior around any other men, she just adores men and dislikes women in general. Last night we went to pick her new cage up from the breeders and the husband just cuddled her so close and she buried herself in his beard and just talked to him like no tomorrow. She would never let me or even the wife breeder do that, I guess I just need to accept that's how it will be with her! But we still love her to pieces darnnit! So here we are looking to add another feathery baby into our family.

I would love any suggestions on what birds you find bond to multiple people, are more hands on, are sweet and affectionate and perhaps playful? I know that many birds are not these things, and that they are all individuals. But I would love any general insight, stories, or thoughts! I want us to make the most educated decision we can! I'm finding I need a bird who will acknowledge me more, and I will feel love from. I've considered a green cheeks or a canary winged parakeet but would love more suggestions!

And if anyone has any thoughts on how we can get Indie to bond more with me I'd love some insight! I've tried so many things (she comes in the shower with me, I feed her her treats, I sit in the room with her and talk to her when she is feeling like she doesn't want to be on my finger etc) but she continues to see me as just her servant and second choice haha.

Thank you!!

Hope

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hope
In my experience all birds are individual, despite species. My rescue African gray loves men, hates women. My sun conure loves everyone and my parrotlet loves me and tolerates everyone else. Do you have a rescue near you? Maybe let a bird choose you. (Take your husband with you to be sure the bird loves both of you). :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It's so frustrating when you love them and care for them so much, but they only have eyes for another. Alas, such is the way with many birds! I like the idea of you both going to a rescue and letting a bird pick you. It might take a while to find the bird who was meant to be with you, but it will happen. Also, having different species of birds might mean different out of cage times, so that might be harder for you. If you have a choice, another IRN might be easiest.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A cockatiel might be a good choice. A lot of people pass them over for being ordinary or common. They are awesome. My females were always at least decent with multiple people even if they had favorites. The males tended to be a little more choosy, but not usually a night and day difference between how they treat family members. The down side of females is egg laying. The down side of males is hormone aggression and personality changes with age. Still great little birds and fairly hands on. Most like a neck and cheek scratch several times a day and are very happy to perch on your shoulder while you work and make confetti out of your paperwork.