• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Afaird of storms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuathaSidhe

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Johanna
Anyone have a bird that gets nervous or afraid of storms?

Hoshi stays in my bedroom, where I can close the door and let her out to fly around. We had a really bad storm move in pretty fast yesterday and it got real dark and stormy, thunder/lightning (lots of it!). She was out of her cage and normally sits in the window looking out side. When I went to check on her she seemed very nervous/wide eyed/quiet/heavy panting.

I put her in her cage and covered her cage up and she seemed to calm down. I closed the curtains and everything so I doubt she could see any of the lightning, but it lasted through the night and after some really loud thunders she'd let out a little squawk. Normally she is quiet and sleeps through the night.

Is there anything else I can do? She was fine after the storm passes. I've never dealt with this with birds, only dogs..but I doubt doing the same with dogs works for birds lol.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think you did the right thing. In her cage where it's safe, cover and close the drapery. I would also talk to her in a soothing manner.

Ginger

RedSoxFan85

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kynyetta or Keke!
i agree with the previous poster you did the right thing, when storms come i usually cover my baby and leave a small opening and when he lets out chirps from the thunder i talk to him i let him know its ok.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
my green cheek is not a big fan of bad weather either - she can see out of several windows where her cage is - when a storm comes through - if I don't get the blinds closed fast enough, she lets me know in no uncertain terms she is unhappy about it

closing the blinds on the windows calms her down immediately -

You did a great job with Yoshi :heart: - I generally talk to Sugar and distract her a little during daytime storms too, give her a dried pepper (her favorite treat) and it helps - at night, her cage is covered/blinds are closed and they don't seem to have the same effect

HiJinx

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara Durham
yep thats what I do. storms come thru here (Mo) so quick and so loud, when I hear Max rustle in his cage and see off in the distance the light and hear the thunder I just automatically go and close blinds and talk to everyone, The next am when I un-cover I try to give extra time with each just talking to them sometimes holding depends on who is up for it.

QP4CAG

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
my boys HATE a storm...but usually im there w/them to keep them safe and outta harms way:hug8:Yes, you were very smart to do that...good parronting on your part:highfive:

TuathaSidhe

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Johanna
Awesome, thanks!

Right now everything is all peachy and shes sitting in the window singing away. It looks like we might be getting more storms but not as quick. (its just all cloudy with a little sun peeking through) If they come on again what I may do is bring her out into the living room with the rest of us (while in her cage heh) and see if that helps.

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Playing soft music will help also. It seems to take their attention away from the loud scarey thunder :D. Mine run for cover when any come up unexpectedly.........................

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
It is hurricane season here and Paco HATES thunder. Poor guy freaks out. If it gets really bad I put him in a carrier so he does not hurt himself :-( Problem is he does not poop while in there so I have to take him out every 15 minutes, so I usually just end up holding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.