• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aerogarden, safe?

Abbydresen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Abby Dresen
I am looking to possibly purchase an Aerogarden to keep a fresh supply of sprouts, veggies, etc for my budgies. My concern is the liquid plant food it comes with. I understand when growing hydroponics you need to add nutrients for the plants to successfully grow, but I’m concerned that the ingredients in the aerogarden brand may be toxic to my birds.

Does anyone use this? Have any experience of input? If it IS toxic, is there a good substitute? I’m admittedly uneducated when it comes to things like this so I’m hoping one of you fabulous members will know!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
There's quite a lot of people here who have/had aerogardens, including myself. I personally haven't had any problems but I'll let those who are more knowledgeable speak on this.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
As far as I can tell, the water/fertilizer is completely contained within the unit, so your birds should never really be in contact with it. It seems quite safe to me.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Had one at one time when I had budgies. There were no issues with any of the plants or growing processes.