• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advise needed from HH owners- Sad Update Post #22

Sparky

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annerie
I am looking into getting a baby hand raised HH parrot. I am an experienced parrot owner, and own 12 birds - parrotlet to macaw and everything inbetween. Some of my birds are in pairs (two male ringnecks, 2 male macaws, a macaw and a eccie) and share indoor cages. They are not bonded pairs, just very good friends. Others have their own cages, but they get along in two groups when out in the aviaries. I do work full time every day, so the flock environment for the birds are very important to me.

I was planning on getting only a HH parrot, but recently started looking at the idea of maybe getting a black headed caique also as a friend. They will share a very large indoor cage, and have their own aviary for playtime. Both will be raised together by the breeder out of the egg.

I have read and heard that HH's are prone to turning on their mates or owners, and that they can kill their mates even if they are a bonded pair. This make me reluctant to get the caique as friend as lots can go wrong while I am at work and they alone together at home.

But if they are raised together since hatch, will the HH still turn on his friend? Just looking for any advise on this matter please...

Last edited:

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
My hawkhead came as an adult and was so sweet and loved my family. Then after about 6 months he started attacking, biting, and hissing whenever we were near him. I’d rather take on a rehome or rescue macaw. Maybe someone on here has had a better experience.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I'm no expert by any means but I've read that caiques don't always get along with other birds either. I would be very very reluctant to let two birds, especially different species, live together in the same cage.

Yup. My Cake and Pippin are bffs but I still keep them in separate cages. Caiques' exuberant, energetic nature often gets annoying and frustrating to other species, which leads to fights. I'd not trust putting a caique in with a bigger/smaller bird due to risk of injury to either party in a scuffle.

Sparky

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annerie
Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it. I will then stick to just getting the HH Parrot. It will be a challenge already - I have read that they can be very difficult pet, so then no need to complicate matters further by adding a caique.
Hopefully things will be better by getting him as a baby and teaching him correctly from the get go.
Thanx guys!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Would not recommend unless they had there own cages as even raised together from an egg they will mature & things can change for the worse. A caique is a bit smaller but these two could really hurt each other when they decided they want there own territories. Even siblings of any species or some raised together can at one time get into fights & injure each other.

I don;t know caiques but HH's can be very aggressive & territorial so I would not try to put a HH in a cage with any other bird..Even mates can injure each other.

Just be very calm with them. I'm not sure they really will do well with 12 other birds around as its alot of excitement.

Still Hawkeye Penny's 22 yo brother is a good bird & his person has a few other birds like a grey. She has set ups for all of them. You just have to keep things organized. Penny is not hi strung at all so it sould be Hawkeye shares her genetics & are calm birds though Hawkeye may be a bit of a challenge during hormone time.

I can try to get HE's person to comment on her birds...& Hawkeyes care.

Link to my HH thread
Found Penny's History | Page 3 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Hawkheads can be pretty temperamental. I feel like they have a little crazy in them so not sure if it would be a good idea two have it paired with a caique. Caiques themselves are crazy in their own right as adults so that is also another factor. I've only met 6 adults hawkheads, one of them is 22/23 year old and was separated from her mate because her mate took off some toes.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I am looking into getting a baby hand raised HH parrot. I am an experienced parrot owner, and own 12 birds - parrotlet to macaw and everything inbetween. Some of my birds are in pairs (two male ringnecks, 2 male macaws, a macaw and a eccie) and share indoor cages. They are not bonded pairs, just very good friends. Others have their own cages, but they get along in two groups when out in the aviaries. I do work full time every day, so the flock environment for the birds are very important to me.

I was planning on getting only a HH parrot, but recently started looking at the idea of maybe getting a black headed caique also as a friend. They will share a very large indoor cage, and have their own aviary for playtime. Both will be raised together by the breeder out of the egg.

I have read and heard that HH's are prone to turning on their mates or owners, and that they can kill their mates even if they are a bonded pair. This make me reluctant to get the caique as friend as lots can go wrong while I am at work and they alone together at home.

But if they are raised together since hatch, will the HH still turn on his friend? Just looking for any advise on this matter please...
I know a secret...;)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ohhhhh!!
:congrats5:
Kevin is absolutely adorable :heart:
I would so love to see a HH in person.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! Hawk-headed parrots are amazing birds!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
How is it going?