• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Morning everyone (or good afternoon/evening)

I just wanted to get some advice from you cockatoo experts. I've read everything possible on this site so now all I need is a little bit extra.

I recently joined as a volunteer for bird rescue group in my country. I say country because they are not based in a single location but rather rely on numerous volunteers for carrying cages, vet trips, transporting birds, donations and obviously fostering birds.

In my part of the country, there have never been any birds in need of foster or forever homes that I've personally come across except those adverts on Gumtree, etc. There only seems to have been a need in 3 other provinces hours and hours away from me. So I put my name forward to help with fetching/ carrying/ donating and fostering should there ever be a one. Well, somehow after 3 years, a week after I sign up, someone is looking for a foster for their bird about 20 minutes from me. What are the chances?

And added to it... It's my dream bird: a Galah Cockatoo. He's 7 years old (my favourite number) and his name is Blu (my favourite colour).

Needless to say, I sort of screamed when I got the message that I may be needed as a foster.

Now, for the advice. The lady caring for Blu rescued him when he was 2 years old. He grew up with a family who had two small kids who "terrorized" him. While the lady was able to handle him, he would attack whenever he saw another person. She's had to get stitches twice now because of these attacks. Apparently he has just gotten steadily more aggressive over the last 5 years. Hence she's looking to rehome him as she feels she just can't give him what he needs.

I obviously don't have all the information but if anyone would like to share your ideas as to why he's gotten more aggressive and how to solve it? (mine is that he probably feels possessive of her?)
How do you handle your aggressive Galah/ cockatoos?
How have you addressed aggression?
What types of toys works best for you?
Favourite foods?

Any other advice would be much appreciated! I only want to do what's right for this little guy, even if it's a temporary soft landing for him.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am going to guess it is at least partially hormones. He is at that age. Russell is a wimp went it comes to wood. He is an OK forager but kinda on the lazy side. He is not really aggressive just a bit sassy.

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
I am going to guess it is at least partially hormones. He is at that age. Russell is a wimp went it comes to wood. He is an OK forager but kinda on the lazy side. He is not really aggressive just a bit sassy.
Thank you! What would you say are the particularly hormonal years? I've read from 3 to 10 years?