• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

advice

shke

Checking out the neighborhood
I am wondering if you could advice me. I would like to know how often one should feed two free flying macaws. Should they be fed twice a day? At present, throughout the year, they are being fed once a day, winter and summer, at about 4p.m. They both have to feed from one bowl. One is definitely the dominant and always first to eat. Should they have a bowl each or would it not make any difference? They are fed a shop bought Parrot mix with a few (monkeynuts) peanuts in their shells on top. I give them brazils, pieces of apple and banana whenever they visit me.

My other query is that one of the birds is quite old and the other a youngster. I believe they are both males. When the older bird passes away, which sadly, is inevitable at some point in the future, what should be done for the remaining bird? Being social creatures, they fly everywhere together, and it concerns me as to what would be the best possible scenario for the remaining younger bird. I don't believe the owners would want to get another and maybe introducing a new bird would be problematic anyway. I realise it would take a lot of care, understanding and attention and I know they wouldn't want to know. In that case would the younger be okay flying around on its own. They younger bird is about 20yrs old. The older bird is about 50yrs old, if not older. I am not the owner of the birds, but know them well. They have a pen and it is open 24/7, the birds fly around the surrounding villages and return often to their home turf, throughout the day. Thank you for reading and for any advice you can offer.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Since they are wandering around all day on their own, they probably spend at least some of that time eating. No telling how much the people in the villages give them for treats. If they are both in pretty good shape and have plenty of energy, I wouldn't change a thing - not even giving them two different bowls. We have a saying in the US, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".

When one or the other birds dies the survivor will either find a new buddy or remain as is. This is nature.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!