• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Hi!
I wasn't planning on getting another bird but I saw her at Petco and she seemed SO young and she was MUCH smaller than the others and the other 'keets weren't letting her eat or drink at all. She'd even just be sitting on a perch and a different bird would come and fight her off of it until she fell.
She's terrified of birds it seems, (before I told him we should have quarantined her, my bad) my dad tried to introduce her to Bee (not Isla yet because we don't need any toes being chewed on her first day) and Bee he is usually the sweetest started biting her head. She was already terrified of other birds it seemed and she started to run away before that even started happening.

Would it be wrong to just get her her own cage and put it in my room away from them for at least a month and then try to introduce them and if that doesn't work out keep her in my room? Would that be wrong? I know it's stupid but she is so spooked, I tried putting her cage near the others overnight and when they all woke up I found Isla trying to bite her through the bars. I just want the lil' baby to be happy.

Sorry if this post is incomprehensible I'm exhausted from a 12 hour shift.

This is Mint :)

1575568393765.png

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds should be quarantined from each other to avoid passing on diseases for at a minimum of 30 days anyways, and she absolutely should have her own cage regardless. Not all birds get along. :)

There is no "wrong" if you are doing something that is in the best interest of the bird :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
HE is very young and is still missing quite a few feathers, but don't worry they'll soon grow in. Yes, get him his own cage. Once he's over the quarantine period you can introduce the two outside of the cages and go from there.
Spend as much time as you can with him now. He's so young he'll be dead easy to tame.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Also, talk to her, read to her so she can hear your voice and get used to it, just let her be for awhile till she gets used to everything, it's a brand new world for her. You are her flock now, she will depend on you for guidance. Do you have an avian vet near you? You might want to set up appointment to have her checked out

Last edited:

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
HE is very young and is still missing quite a few feathers, but don't worry they'll soon grow in. Yes, get him his own cage. Once he's over the quarantine period you can introduce the two outside of the cages and go from there.
Spend as much time as you can with him now. He's so young he'll be dead easy to tame.
bird in the pic is 100% female

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Oh my goodness she is precious. she is VERY young. Yes she needs to be in her own cage and being away from your other birds until she has settled in and lost her fear. Is she eating and drinking ok? Talk to her, spend as much time as you can with her. Earn her trust. She is so young that as @Ripshod said, she should tame easily and come to see you as her flock. Different species of birds do not make a great way to introduce her to your home and it would seem that the poor thing was being bullied at Petco. She deserves to feel safe. Keep her in your room.

Last edited:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so glad you took her in. Poor baby needed rescuing from an unfeeling world :heart:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Do you have any candles in your room? If you do, please don't use them. their respiratory system is so delicate.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You are a good person to take in this budgie. Looks to me like flight feathers are cut. Petco’s policy and it’s not a good policy. Yes please get him another cage so he can slowly accommodate to all the newness. Please offer healthy foods and pellets with seeds. Hemp would be a good addition to the seed mix. Make sure he gets exercise. Ladders are good for that, so is a cage with horizontal bars.

We are here for you so please update us on how he is doing. Any names yet?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
You are a good person to take in this budgie. Looks to me like flight feathers are cut. Petco’s policy and it’s not a good policy. Yes please get him another cage so he can slowly accommodate to all the newness. Please offer healthy foods and pellets with seeds. Hemp would be a good addition to the seed mix. Make sure he gets exercise. Ladders are good for that, so is a cage with horizontal bars.

We are here for you so please update us on how he is doing. Any names yet?

We're naming her Mint :)

It kind of goes with Basil, which is what we're naming our baby Eclectus who comes soon <3

The pellets we feed Isla and Bee are too big for her tiny beak so I've been crushing them up and adding them to a seed mix, started to offer her a couple of vegetables this morning, she was NOT into it.

Do you think people would be interested if I made a thread of progress with her?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We would be very interested, many budgie members here. Harrison’s makes a tiny pellet extra fine. I will try to find you a link. Cere is white that is why
some of us say male. @Love My Zons do you sell the extra fine Harrison’s with green label ?

Last edited:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
We're naming her Mint :)

It kind of goes with Basil, which is what we're naming our baby Eclectus who comes soon <3

The pellets we feed Isla and Bee are too big for her tiny beak so I've been crushing them up and adding them to a seed mix, started to offer her a couple of vegetables this morning, she was NOT into it.

Do you think people would be interested if I made a thread of progress with her?
Absolutely we’d be interested! Thank you for taking in this sweet baby, and thank you again for keeping him/her in your room to acclimate to their new life. Budgies are very sweet birds and I think you’re gonna LOVE Mint as a roommate!

And yep, to answer @Lady Jane , @Love My Zons does have the Harrison Suoer Fine I just got some from her last week. Both my budgies took to them much better than the “fine” size.

Please keep us updated and congrats on your new fid!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I am sorry to tell that birds do bully others for a reason, which is usually that the bullied bird is sick or has a birth defect. Which means Mint will probably always be bullied by the others, unless you have a low rank bird that could accommodate with her.

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh what a beautiful little doll she is! I'm SO glad she is snug as a bug in a rug in your room away from all the scary things, and other birds who have not been nice to this sweet baby. Take it slow and I'll bet she will become your best friend in the world. I LOVE HER! Let us know how she's going, okay? :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Mint! :starshower1:

You are doing great @Miss Annamarie :)
Have you tried sprinkling a little millet over veggies?