• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice

Caique-Walk

Meeting neighbors
Hi, Some advice would be really appreciated.

Today when i had to disappear for 3 to 4 hours I came home to find my 6 month old Caique acting like a baby begging for food. He has access to a variety of food. Not always mixed seeds because he only eats the sunflowers seeds in it. My sister was home while I was out and offered him sunflower seeds but apparently didn’t want to eat them. Which is odd. Normally he will jump through hoops to get some.

When i got home today, he was doing the baby thing. I realised he has not eaten much so i hand fed him some nut and seed which he hungrily ate. Am i encouraging this behaviour by doing this? He seemed to store the food i gave him in his crop and shortly after regurgitated and ate it. Which seems slightly psychological, as if he thinks he will miss out on his next meal if I leave again.

After he regurgitates he starts to act normally and play with his toys.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Is it possible for him to regress at this age? I know zero about this, but I think @HolliDaze ’s Dexter regressed?

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Is it possible for him to regress at this age? I know zero about this, but I think @HolliDaze ’s Dexter regressed?
Dexter was 6 months when he regressed. after a fairly traumatic event, he refused to eat solids and began to only eat baby formula. However, Dexter didn't do most of these behaviors. He didn't ever regurgitate his food, though it does sound like regression has something to do with this behavior. It's possible that this is just your caique's version of regression.
I don't think feeding him anything solid would encourage the behavior, though it's not necessarily a behavior that you should actively avoid encouraging.

Question time: (please note I don't know much about caiques, their weaning age, etc)
Was your baby self weaned? As in, was he allowed to choose when to stop the feedings, or did you/breeder force them to stop? Either way, it's my personal recommendation to feed him if he continues to beg and doesn't eat solids. Weigh him to make sure he doesn't loose too much weight. (Again, please note this is my advice based on my experience. If someone more experienced with caiques says I'm wrong, ignore my advice) birds tend to have more issues as adults when they are forced to wean.
Has s/he had anything traumatic happen to them? Dexter regressed due to an emergency surgery and a move happening at the same time (unavoidable). another traumatic experience could be going to a new home, getting chased by another pet, or a major change in schedule. Baby birds are very emotionally fragile, especially hand fed birds. Dexter once refused to eat for 16 hours because he landed wrong with a full crop and threw up.
Please don't think I'm asking you these questions to make you feel bad or anything. Even if I can't help you, other members can use this info to help you.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He might have regressed but it may also be a good idea to take him to a vet in case he isn't feeling well.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
@Laurie Maybe she can help you out.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes, he could have regressed... do hand feed him when he begs, don’t worry about causing a problem. You won’t.

Monica’s idea of a vet visit sounds like the right thing to do.

Caique-Walk

Meeting neighbors
Sorry for not getting back on sooner to reply. I can confirm he regressed a little, but all is good now. It turns out me leaving him alone for a little while i food shop and run errands stresses him a little. So I have started to take him out with me whenever possible. Of course i can’t take him physically food shopping (yet) so i now move him out from his bird room onto his gym when possible and get my sister to mind him. This usually is enough to keep him satisfied. He is now a regular at the post office lol. I am starting to realise that people think he is so cute i can push the limits on pet policies.