• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice re cockatiel eggs

BirdLife

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Julie
Hi and thanks for accepting my membership.

My 1.5yo hen and her beau did the deed (a few times) This is a first for both, and the first time I've had a pair mate and lay eggs. She laid a clutch of eggs on March 3rd and every other day stopping at 4. Its over the 21 day period. I checked the eggs yesterday (candled) - empty. My question is - Can i just remove the breeding box and eggs today from the cage? Shes sitting on them and hes doing his job too, but theres no life in the eggs. Just need more advice on removing it all and Im assuming this will distress them? Cant let them sit on them for no reason but concerned about the distress it may cause. Thanks in advance.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welciome to the Avenue Julie :starshower1:

As Mizzely said, your hen will likely give up on the eggs. Be sure to count from the day the eggs were laid, and add the incubation time. Be sure your hen has abandoned the eggs by then - you can give a few extra days, but be sure to start rearranging the cage and moving food bowls to try and help her to abandon the nest of her own accord.

BirdLife

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Julie
thanks heaps! Great advice. I'll leave it for a few more days, but i have noticed that ahes spending more time out of the nest than in it so shes probably getting the picture, poor girl.