• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Advice pls....Sick Budgie in the UK

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
Hi guys... thank you for all your advice re my now rip Budgie aldervireld...
I’ve homed some budgies that we’re in a outside aviary and the one I lost was one of these. I have a ino I believe hen and I’ve noticed (now they are a bit tamer to me I can get close & some will come to hand) that I think she has mites. Maybe scaly beak and it’s spread to her eye? Her beak was more crusty when we got her and cuttlebone and decent toys she seems to of got some of it off but she still doesn’t look right. I think she has had a bad wing clip coz she can’t get more than 3ft if the floor. She manages with the ladder provided and uses the bars. But she is fluffed up a lot and I don’t think she’s 100%. I bought some scaly beak treatment and gave her the drops yesterday. Needless to say she was not happy and the noise was awful bless her. She does seem happy enough... she will sort of quack at me when I talk to her and opens her beak.
I don’t know if she’s just a scruffy Budgie that’s had a bit of a hard time previously in the Aviary or is poorly. I’ve posted some pictures one without a flash. I just want to get my flock happy and healthy and would really appreciate any advice.
Also If anyone is from the south coast of the U.K. pls do you know of any avarian vets.
Many thanks 8DF73466-3155-4EBA-B759-B5E4A63B8947.jpeg

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do not know of vets in the UK, sadly. Can you call a cat/dog vet to see if they can direct you to one?

I've edited the title of your thread to hopefully help you get more responses.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like it could be Conjunctivitis, which can be caused by or lead to respiratory. It's also highly contagious. Your bird will require a vet ASAP. The southcost UK is a big place, can you list a town that is close to you so someone can locate an avian vet?

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
Looks like it could be Conjunctivitis, which can be caused by or lead to respiratory. It's also highly contagious. Your bird will require a vet ASAP. The southcost UK is a big place, can you list a town that is close to you so someone can locate an avian vet?
Thank you Brighton UK. It’s doesn’t weep or anything and looks like little warts?

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
I do not know of vets in the UK, sadly. Can you call a cat/dog vet to see if they can direct you to one?

I've edited the title of your thread to hopefully help you get more responses.
Thank you very much

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@tka messaged me to post some info for you just in case you didn't get it by PM :)

I used to live in Brighton so can offer a personal recommendation of Celine le Rochais at Coastway Vets in Kemptown. Very nice, thorough and willing to consult other exotic vets about problems. She has a really calm way about her when handling parrots
Hope that helps! :heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm sorry, but all of these budgies need to see a vet.... and it wont be cheap. :(

The one that passed may have been a male with cancer that caused the cere to turn brown. The male budgie that was next to the sick one already has his blue cere turning brown. This one quite possibly has mites....

Who knows what other health ailments they all have. :sad1:

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
I'm sorry, but all of these budgies need to see a vet.... and it wont be cheap. :(

The one that passed may have been a male with cancer that caused the cere to turn brown. The male budgie that was next to the sick one already has his blue cere turning brown. This one quite possibly has mites....

OMG I did wonder why I was gifted such beautiful birds.... I had a 2 Budgies I bought from reputable breeders and they were fine perfect... but I don’t know the ages of some of these birds. I thought the cere may go brown on a male if hormonal.
I’m devastated to hear this...
image.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
No... a males cere will only turn brown when there's a turmor in or near their testes which causes the change.

There's a local family that gave up 12 budgies. They went into foster. Of those 12, there's at least half still available. I saw them yesterday and one of the budgie hens had a split lower beak and overgrown top beak. It wasn't noticed.

This picture, you can see a little bare skin to the left of her beak. That's where her beak had curled to and was rubbing the feathers off. You can kind of make out the split lower portion as well... left side is growing right. (towards camera) This is after clipping off some of it.

B1.jpg

Not only is her lower beak split and overgrown, the upper beak is overgrown and she had a sinus infection at one point in time that destroyed a part of her cere.

B2.jpg

All this was unnoticed by the person taking care of them. I'm not sure if the family was even aware.

Perhaps whoever had the budgies you took in didn't notice their poor health, or maybe they did but couldn't, or wouldn't, do anything about it and unloaded them onto someone else. :(

Some of the budgies you have taken in may be perfectly healthy! And that would be great! It's clear however that others are not doing so well. It's better to ensure all of them are healthy.

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor

Thank you for your reply. What type of mites would this be? They all seem to be happy to day and yesterday and since not giving the fresh veggies the poop is no longer runny. All I know about the birds was that they were in a outside aviary before I took the last 9...ages of them unknown but I believed the guy to of been honest in his intentions and would Of said if noticed any ailments etc.
I let them out to have free flight and they all fly lovely bar the ino hen. I did have some concerns about one who I thought was wheezing but after the initial first fly about (they didn’t come out the aviary) but it was gone as quick as I saw it. He did spread his wings some too
Is it possible the cere could be a brown tinge coz of hormones? There is a hen amongst the green and yellows possibly 2 but I’m still identifying them. Well trying .
Currently 3.17 pm UK time and it’s getting dark... they’re chirping away happily as the light goes... I’m hoping that the scaly beak treatment will work with the hen... I looked into conjunctivitis a bit more and with her beak also being slightly mishapen (it’s much better, she seems to of scrapped some off on the cuttlefish.
I feel awful as my 2 budgies were healthy and happy and I just wanted to give these a nice home also. My original birds seem perfectly fine and no changes atall. Quite happy to be his cheeky self around them bossy thing lol typical youngest!
Thank you for any help given new and old and apologies for my navigation issues around the threads.

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
No... a males cere will only turn brown when there's a turmor in or near their testes which causes the change.

There's a local family that gave up 12 budgies. They went into foster. Of those 12, there's at least half still available. I saw them yesterday and one of the budgie hens had a split lower beak and overgrown top beak. It wasn't noticed.

This picture, you can see a little bare skin to the left of her beak. That's where her beak had curled to and was rubbing the feathers off. You can kind of make out the split lower portion as well... left side is growing right. (towards camera) This is after clipping off some of it.

View attachment 326073

Not only is her lower beak split and overgrown, the upper beak is overgrown and she had a sinus infection at one point in time that destroyed a part of her cere.

View attachment 326074

All this was unnoticed by the person taking care of them. I'm not sure if the family was even aware.

Perhaps whoever had the budgies you took in didn't notice their poor health, or maybe they did but couldn't, or wouldn't, do anything about it and unloaded them onto someone else. :(

Some of the budgies you have taken in may be perfectly healthy! And that would be great! It's clear however that others are not doing so well. It's better to ensure all of them are healthy.
Apologies again I just saw this... thank you xx

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor

View attachment 326073

View attachment 326074

4856F1AD-62F9-4812-8257-9A0158646CAD.jpeg
The grey is quite old I think bless him but still seems to do everything that he should be doing... 80713850-5777-4FAB-AC62-D6510A29C4FC.jpeg 6C784E7F-1824-4E30-8984-532DF6EE7A6C.jpeg 76E08C72-02CB-4376-B370-1C8B21202591.jpeg My baby I’m sure you can see.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The ino appears to have scaley face mites. I do see quite a few males in the group.

I really hope you are able to get all of them to be healthy! They deserve it!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is wonderful that you have opened up your home and given these 9 a soft place to land :)
Just remember, it is important when bringing home any new bird, even if they look healthy, to go to the vet for a check up.

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
The ino appears to have scaley face mites. I do see quite a few males in the group.

I really hope you are able to get all of them to be healthy! They deserve it!
Thank you.... I have some treatment that she has been getting and I shall do the rest of them. I was told it was a SCAR. I shall be having a few firm words with the person I got these guys from.
Thank you