• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice please!! :) I’m new here

MollyC

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Molly
Hi, I’m looking for some advice and the internet i find is very misleading and wondered if someone can help.
I currently have 3 budgies they all live together in one cage in our living room. I really would love to get a parrotlet but I just have a few questions. Obviously they would be in separate cages and come out at different times but is it okay to keep them all in the same room?People have said oh it’ll be fine but I don’t want neither my budgies or the new bird (if I get one) getting all stressed out.
what do you think?
ive attached a picture of my 3 I have Lola, Gizmo and Cosmo :)
Thank you EF7F7202-290B-4475-A856-B09C7C32747B.jpeg

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I have 2 budgies and once when I left them out to play my plet tried to lunge at him from in her cage. you have to always watch and be careful because their beaks are bigger and stronger then a budgies.

And they are big birds in a little body, they need a lot of attention and love. and the energy is tremendous lol

MollyC

Real Name
Molly
Yes I have read about their big personalities, I’m always here whenever my budgies are out of their cage I understand what you mean I’ll need to grow eyes in the back of my head lol. Other then the possible trying to lunge from the cage is there any more worries? I suppose all I could do is when the budgies are outside the cage just make sure they aren’t flying towards the other cage as best I can

MollyC

Real Name
Molly
And for the love and attention even though I’m at work for most of the day my boyfriend is here couple of days in the week all day with them and Im home from 5pm every night so I do get a good few hours with them and of weekends I’m home pretty much 24/7 I’m sure sometimes they get sick of the sight of me lol

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Molly :starshower1:

They will all be fine in the same room. Give some space between cages so they´re not too close. And as mentioned, beware of toe biting through cage bars during flight time :)

Just remember to quarantine the new bird for 4-6 weeks when your first bring him/her home in a separate room, washing hands and changing your shirt if the bird landed on you between handling birds. Get the new bird checked out at the vet in this time to be sure they are disease free before putting them all in the same room.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Your budgies are so pretty!! I loooove the grey one (I'm partial to grey though :) ) . Here was my experience, in reverse. I got my p'let first, and she saw my room as her territory. Then I got a single lineolated parakeet (slightly larger than a budgie). The p'let wasn't thrilled, but she acclimated ok and I could have them both out of their cages at the same, as long as I was with them. Then I got another linnie (and another, and another!) and suddenly I could no longer let my p'let out of the cage at the same time as any (or all) of the linnies. She terrorized all of them!! Also, the linnies always wanted to land the p'let's cage, which is an injury just waiting to happen!

So, I had to put something on top of the p'let's cage to block the linnies from landing up there (I used clear vinyl. She got mad about it for a day but then ignored it). And I have to let my p'let out at separate time from my linnies. We have it worked out, but just be aware that p'lets are very territorial and having them all out at the same time MAY not work. You'll just have to play it by ear. The issues, for me anyway, only arose with out-of-cage time. She doesn't care about them at all when everyone's tucked inside their own space :)

-NG

laracroft

Strolling the yard
Welcome! I don't have anything to add about your question that hasn't been said, but I wanted to say your budgies are adorable! And the order they're perched in makes them look like a sliding scale from grey to blue, which made me smile.