• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice please! African grey

sonjatx

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi,
I had my African grey for 10 years now. He was super bonded with me. With me all day. Then when my husband got out the military we had to move. After the move my parrot (Merlin) at once stopped coming to me and totally ignored me. Everytime I come close to him he gets aggressive and trust to bite. He is out the cage during the day still and with me but he will not step up and even do all the cute things he did. Then when my son comes to visit he bonds with him at once. Like tries to gorge food up for him. He used to do that with me but I do not know what to do except to have patience. He acts like I abused him and I never never hit or yell or anything like that. Since the move 3 years already passed and still my Merlin is mad at me
What could I have done? My other Meyers parrot had no issues with the move still snuggly as ever. Merlin is breaking my heart.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

scott199

Walking the driveway
im very new to parrots, so only a guess, but if it was me i would start again from step one - gaining trust, go slow and maybe use target training to build the bond again.

it may very well be that hes turned his attention to your son and thats just a coincidence it happened around the time of the move.

Others with more knowledge will be alone soon but i would say, start again, pretend hes a new bird and start building the trust back.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello1:and welcome! I don't own an African Grey, but sometimes birds just pick their favorite human. I'm getting ready to go visit my father with my two budgies. They may absolutely fall in love with my Dad or my sister, and I'll become chopped liver in their eyes. And that's OK. I still love them and will always take good care of them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!