• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on size and type of chain

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Hi everyone,

I'm currently putting together a recommendation for an aviary I volunteer at. I'm looking into the cost of getting stainless steel chain, and replacing all our chain and hardware.

How do you judge the appropriate chain link size and type? We have birds that range from a Senegal to some BG macaws, and everything in between. I was looking at McMaster Carr's stuff, and it seems like there are straight link and twisted link chains which I've seen used for parrots.

Do I go small links, or do I go large links? Should I go straight chain or twisted link chain, or does it not matter as long as the links are welded closed? I was thinking small links that are large enough to let a talon through if needed. All our chain is under tension (hanging up perches) so I don't think tangling is a huge risk.

Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you’re catering for all sizes of birds in the one set up id personally go for the larger chain to hold up to macaws and cover it with pvc pipes to keep all safe.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I also have only ever got one toy with twisted chain link (the picture showed normal chain or I wouldn’t have bought it)- I personally feel twisted links are a hazard so I took the toy apart and threw the twisted chain out.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
1.6mm, 2.0mm is okay for small and medium birds. 3.0mm and 4.0mm okay for large birds. It really depends on the bird and if they want to destroy. Like when I had my B&G, she never ever messed up the 1.6mm chain but most large Macaws an or will mess it up. The 3.0mm chain is 1/2" wide on the outside dimensions of it so anything you put on the chain has to have a bit larger hole than 1/2".

On my site on this link, if you scroll down the page I have the sizes of chains that I show.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Thank you both for the quick and informative responses! I'll consider ordering two separate sizes. We only have one pair of macaws at the moment, so we won't need too much chain.