• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on rehoming

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I guess if I lived in the uk my family of six wouldn't be able to visit anyone :lol:

(the only relatives we would visit have a high risk person anyways, and are 14 hours away, so we just stay at home all day lol)

• Haha
Reactions: Ali

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Thanks all I'm glad about the changes but still can't visit inside a house and not sure putting Bird in garden to meet me would be fair but hopefully things will be better by October to be honest my last post was the first time my wife committed to time scale and I'm fine with it and finding it hard to decide on the right type of bird I'm considering a galah or pionus and wouldn't rule out another Amazon but my last bird only wanted me and my wife found it hard so hoping to find a more sociable bird .
I would love to hear from any galah owners as I'm very drawn to them and think they would a good bet for me but would love to hear your insights bad and good .

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Visiting a rescue is great advice. Cockatoos are amazing, but they can also be incredibly difficult. They are highly intelligent and their emotional needs as equally high. In the time I've worked at an exotic bird store I've encountered some that were well-rounded and emotionally stable. There have also been more than a few that were emotionally damaged and borderline psychotic. One was so messed up by previous owners that our only choice was to send him to a sanctuary.

As others have said, research, research, research. That's the best advice you can get.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
They are well known to be very phobic birds when they go over the edge. And it doesn't take that much to push them over the edge.
That's true. My Fred is adorable and loveable but he's very skittish. And when he's spooked it takes him time to get over it but he always does. That's Fred, we've gotten used to him and love him anyway. Sometimes he spooks himself and blames my fiancee! That's an absolute riot! :loltears:

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Fred sounds lovely I'm happy he has a good home I've been watching lots of birds videos and there just so meny lovely birds out there I never thought of as companion birds like Indian ring necks or parrckets I thought were just Avery birds not really good for pets

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Fred sounds lovely I'm happy he has a good home I've been watching lots of birds videos and there just so meny lovely birds out there I never thought of as companion birds like Indian ring necks or parrckets I thought were just Avery birds not really good for pets
It's hard to make a choice. I really didn't have a choice with Fred. My friend owned a pet store which she has sort of turned into a terrarium/aquarium fish shop. They had many birds and now just board a few here and there. My Fred was a bird that wouldn't interact with people but when I met him he was 7 yrs old and took to us instantly. I spent about a month visiting him at first a few times a week, then more often than that. It was when I started worrying about whether he was still going to be there that I finally brought him home. I love him to death. We all do, but you never really know what's going to spook him or when, or when his mood will change. Sometimes he wants to be left alone too, as he has an independent streak. Whatever he wants we just go with it and not force it. We've had good luck with him this way. He doesn't bite, AT ALL, and he's non destructive. But he has lots of things to chew! He's always bobbing his head, he's a happy little guy :xflove: :xflove:

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
He sounds so lovely and he's lucky to of found good parent's I have watched many videos of birds to try And decided what bird I want next and I found I really loved lots of different birds but was disgusted by the way people we're trying to force birds to preform when they were saying they didn't feel like it and becoming distressed that there owner's Wernt listening.
I'm still very torn on what bird I want I had decided on a galah or pionus but the indian ring necks seem nice to but a bit small but I guess it will depend on what's available and needing a home