• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on rehoming my 1 yr old lovebird

meryl2513

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey guys,

I'm unfortunately considering rehoming my lovebird and honestly kind of afraid of the process (I've never rehomed any of my birds). She's a little under a year, just laid infertile eggs (maybe a month ago) and is pretty attached to me. Because of how loud she is and that I live in a small apartment, about a month ago I reached out to a lady in charge of a bird rescue in my area. She was very nice and said if she gets any leads on anyone who may be looking that she'd be in contact.

She reached out today and said she has someone interested.

I just feel that I can't provide the life my bird needs with an 8-5pm job and that she can't come out of the cage much because of how loud she is. I love her so much and am just worried that she won't adjust to a new owner.

Does it take a while for lovebirds to adjust to a new home? I don't want her to not grow attached to her new owner - I just want her to have the best life possible and am afraid that may not be with me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It depends on the bird and their history. My experience is limited, but my rescue baby (Anakin) took years until he was comfortable enough to fly to me or just hang out. These days he actively seeks me out and will sit on my shoulder for hours if I let him. He doesn’t really trust anyone else in the house, but he takes seeds from other people’s hands if offered. Anakin is a little different in that he very obviously had a traumatic past. He is missing part of a toe and came to me with a bruised beak and infection. I’m sure your bird is not the same in that respect. If she goes to a patient and loving home, she will come around.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does the rescue screen the applicants? That would be my first concern- that the bird is going to a good home. I think any bird will eventually adjust to a new home. The amount of time varies per the bird. I had a foster lovie. I would say from day one he was fine with being in our home. He played and chirped and liked attention. We were just starting to get to the touching stage when he got adopted.