• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on how to get my budgie to keep down her medicine?

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, I have to give my budgie, Sprite, an antibiotic orally, twice a day, to cure a mild bacterial infection. I have given her this same medicine before, so I know how to do it properly, and last time, she took it no problem. But this time, she has discovered that she can keep the medicine in her mouth until I put her down, and then spit it all out. Or, if I manage to trick her into actually swallowing it, she throws it back up again. I've tried distracting her with millet immediately after I let her go, but it doesn't work.
I really don't know how I can get her to actually take her medicine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know some folks will put on a small peice of bread that will soak it up,nutriberries @webchirp and I think it's @Clueless that uses baby food.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
maybe blending up some fruits into a runny juice and mixing it with the medicine might work? that way she might not realise its medicine and might just willingly drink it?
I've given my GCC different flavored juices in a syringe,without meds, so that one day when i need to medicate him he will be happy to drink from the syringe, might be worth doing this?

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know some folks will put on a small peice of bread that will soak it up,nutriberries @webchirp and I think it's @Clueless that uses baby food.
I could try that. Not sure if she'll eat it, but it's worth a shot. It's about time for her second dose now, so we'll see how it goes.

maybe blending up some fruits into a runny juice and mixing it with the medicine might work? that way she might not realise its medicine and might just willingly drink it?
I've given my GCC different flavored juices in a syringe,without meds, so that one day when i need to medicate him he will be happy to drink from the syringe, might be worth doing this?
I would try that, except the only fruit/berry she somewhat likes is strawberries, and the medicine is already strawberry flavored, lol.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I could try that. Not sure if she'll eat it, but it's worth a shot. It's about time for her second dose now, so we'll see how it goes.

I would try that, except the only fruit/berry she somewhat likes is strawberries, and the medicine is already strawberry flavored, lol.
If she likes any veggies you can blend it with water, capsicum, bok choy etc.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Dr Orosz had me put meds on the keets millet. Just take a piece or two, fairly small and put it on.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
We have had luck with a bit of apple juice. A tiny bit before the meds in the syringe and a tiny bit after the meds. It puts the meds in between the juice. That was the only way I could get Toot to take his meds last year.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We make an event out of medicine here too. One on one time..... baby talk..... etc.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The baby food doesn't cost much and you can get organic if you want BUT MAKE SURE NO ADDITIVES IN THERE!

I also freeze half a jar in snack bags. I can break off pieces as needed.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
when I have had to medicate Budgies, I mix up a very small amount of baby bird formula. Then in a 1cc syringe I draw up a little baby bird formula then the medication then the formula again total volume under 1cc. Bonus easy to digest, well tolerated, little bit of nutrients.

Or I mix a tiny amount of cooked sweet potatoes in water as a slurry. And do the same as above using that instead of formula.

Or I ask vet and pharmacy to put in a thicker stickier suspension .

I don't use citrus fruit juice , as the citric acid can be irritating , may interfere with medication. I don't use juice as I'm not wanting that Xtra sugar to feed the yeastie beasties or bacteria.
Also liquids are easier to choke on. You want higher viscosity ( fancy term)