• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on heavy metal poisoning - cockatiel

EllaKeoghh

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all! My lovely cockatiel is staying at the VET for 3 days, it's currently day 2. He is being treated for heavy metal poisoning after showing some scary symptoms such as trembling, loss of balance, constant head tilting, depression, falling off his perch at night, fluffing up and less vocal (he was still eating and drinking the same and his poo was fine, and his feathers looked healthy and his eyes were bright).
I am wondering if anybody has had a similar experience. It was seriously scary and I took him to the vet the next day, although I was worried he wouldn't even make it for the drive. This vet is one of the most reputable avian vets in the state, and she seemed pretty confident that it was heavy metal poisoning and he would be okay with immediate treatment followed by radiography to make sure.
When I got home I studied his cage for chips and found nothing, he eats and drinks out of plastic bowls. He has no metal toys, his favourite toys are a pinecone from the backyard and a few things I've knitted with wool. The only thing I can think of is I live in an old house with chipping paint but I always keep my eye on him when hes out of the cage, he's never out when I'm not in the room and I've never seen him try to eat chipping paint.
Is there anything that I'm missing? Could he have been misdiagnosed? are there any common household items that could poison my little fella?
Any suggestions or thought would be appreciated, I'm very nervous and I don't want to call them because I know they're super busy atm.
Thank you and stay safe

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There are heaps of common house hold things that are dangerous for our birds. Teflon, perfumes, aerosol cans, cleaning chemicals, this list goes on for ever.
Maybe you could share a pic of your cage- sometimes it is easy to miss things.... just wondering about bells, links to hold toys, ties often used with cuttlebone.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What do you use to hang toys up with? What about perches? Some of that hardware is made with zinc.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What is the cage itself made of? I hope your bird will be ok.