• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on diet.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Hi. So my two Caiques have settled in and I am thinking their diet is wrong. All of my parrots have the same food. Fresh vegs and some fruit in the morning and some vegs , seed, sprouts and nuts for dinner. I find conflicting advice re Caique diets. My two seem to only want vegs and some fruit. They eat few of their pellets and not much seed. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, Honey is 4 yrs and I don't have a lot of info re her past diet. Bean is 3 months.
An example of this mornings breakfast.
Celery
green beans
Carrot
capsicum
Bok Choy
Zucchini
Pomegranate
Plum
Apple
Passionfruit
Sweet potato mash with peas.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Do they eat all of those veggies or is that a list of what was offered? If they eat all of them, I'm very impressed! I wonder if they might be getting a lot of what they need from the veggies? I'm glad they're eating at least some of the pellets.

I know there are a lot of members who know better about birds' nutrition. I'm sure some of them will be on maybe later today.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
They don’t really need seed. Some more pellets by offering five or six kinds and they’ll find their favorites. Mine like Harrison’s pepper and fine and lafeber parrot pellets.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Do they eat all of those veggies or is that a list of what was offered? If they eat all of them, I'm very impressed! I wonder if they might be getting a lot of what they need from the veggies? I'm glad they're eating at least some of the pellets.

I know there are a lot of members who know better about birds' nutrition. I'm sure some of them will be on maybe later today.
Hi, yes they eat anything and all I give them. If that list is ok then I am feeling better about their diet. Thank you. :)

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
They don’t really need seed. Some more pellets by offering five or six kinds and they’ll find their favorites. Mine like Harrison’s pepper and fine and lafeber parrot pellets.
Thank you for replying . I hadn't thought of offering different types of pellets. I have been on various FB groups but everyone seems to have different ideas and seed, I was told, is important so I was feeling bad that they are not eating much of it. That is a relief. Thank you again. :)

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
That diet looks good. Also don't forget smoothies. Carrot kale spinach and 4 or 5 fruits

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
That diet looks good. Also don't forget smoothies. Carrot kale spinach and 4 or 5 fruits
Thank you. I have never made smoothies. How much would I make per bird please? I will definitely give it a go. :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Make it for yourself and share it with them. I leave their normal water bowl (full of water) in their cage. And a half sized bowl of smoothie.

The water gets ignored. Just throw out the remaining smoothie every morning and make fresh.
Get creative with fruit n veg. Mine will drink it even if it's heavily green with veg. I add enough fruit to make it slightly sweet

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I also mix some cooked grains like quinoa and brown rice in with their veggies. And I add some turmeric, ginger and red palm oil to them. Like @saroj12 , I offer a mix of pellets and they eat what they like. It varies from day to day! Watch the celery-the strings can block their crop, and it is not very nutritious.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Also, I use safflower seed as a training treat, and offer a little tree nuts, like walnuts and almonds now and then.