• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on cleaning.

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I don't disinfect on a daily/regular basis. My birds never see another bird, nor am I around any.
Normally I just use water, and soap if really dirty, to clean. (a safe non-toxic soap like Dawn dish soap)
I have used vinegar for perches/water bottles/dirty toys, etc..

But I'm also old school and have never had a bottle of hand sanitizer in my house, so take that into consideration before taking what I say as the best way to do things.
Ok thank you for informing.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I completely agree with @tka - vinegar is not a very effective disinfectant and the fumes if concentrated or if vinegar is heated can be harmful to a bird's respiratory system.

I'm a great fan of F10. Mainly because of the fact that my vet uses and recommends it and that the company that produces it is so open with the research done with it. I understand that Vikron is good, but it needs to be rinsed and not used when the bird is present.

You don't really need to truly "disinfect" vey often if you have a well bird. If your bird has been ill.

The claim of 100% effectiveness against all bacteria and viruses makes me nervous and I would have to do additional research. If it's too good to be true it probably isn't.

Thanks everyone.
I can't buy the product you mentioned as F10 because I guess it's not available here.
But there are different alternative disinfectant sprays for animals. The brand name is different.
Can you check if this product works for me? View attachment 398501 I
View attachment 398502

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is how to disinfect with bleach (clorox). It will completely degenerate into harmless by product within 20 min. of being applied. Clorox is widely recognized as the very best disinfectant, but it will damage some surfaces and can bleach everything.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Here is how to disinfect with bleach (clorox). It will completely degenerate into harmless by product within 20 min. of being applied. Clorox is widely recognized as the very best disinfectant, but it will damage some surfaces and can bleach everything.

I completely agree with @tka - vinegar is not a very effective disinfectant and the fumes if concentrated or if vinegar is heated can be harmful to a bird's respiratory system.

I'm a great fan of F10. Mainly because of the fact that my vet uses and recommends it and that the company that produces it is so open with the research done with it. I understand that Vikron is good, but it needs to be rinsed and not used when the bird is present.

You don't really need to truly "disinfect" vey often if you have a well bird. If your bird has been ill.

The claim of 100% effectiveness against all bacteria and viruses makes me nervous and I would have to do additional research. If it's too good to be true it probably isn't.
Thank you very much for sharing this information with me. I really like to hear about your experiences. And you're all guiding me.
Yes, I don't really trust vinegar.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I found a site where I can buy the F10 product and I will order it today.
Thank you all so very much for helping me. :heart:

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I ordered F10 the other day and they brought it to my house yesterday.
There is something I want to ask. How often do you use F10?
Thank you.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Depends a bit on what needs cleaning, I'll use it for cage deep-cleans (monthly-ish) and on perches or things that are really dirty. My bird cages are in our living space, so I also use it to clean people stuff in that area, like the kitchen island.