• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on cleaning.

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Hello to everyone. :)
I had shared Pasha's room before. I can't wash it like a normal cage because I can't take it off.
IMG_20211125_232036.jpg
So I spray boiling water and then wipe it all over with a wet cloth. Some say it can be wiped with vinegar, but I don't think vinegar will work.I thought I could clean it with disinfectant but I wasn't sure because I can't rinse it well with water. I can wipe it with a cloth.Should I continue cleaning this way?
I also found this product. I don't know how useful it is.
Can you give me new advice? I wanted to consult you.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Is this a room with a drain in the floor? Could you use something like a (gentle) pressure washer?

I think some members on here steam cleaners, can't think of who, specifically, hopefully some will respond.

Birb Lady

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lily
I personally just use water for wood and for the cage I use vinegar water. I know there are some products out there that are made for this type of problem, maybe you could look into it?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most types of F10 do not need to be rinsed with water. You can buy little bottles of concentrate and make up a solution to your desired strength. 1:500 is adequate for everyday cleaning, 1:250 for killing bacteria and viruses. You can make up a stronger solution if needed.

Personally I wouldn't bother with vinegar. It's not a good disinfectant and will only clean at full strength, which might corrode the metal unless it is stainless steel. Vinegar water basically does nothing because the vinegar is so dilute.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Is this a room with a drain in the floor? Could you use something like a (gentle) pressure washer?

I think some members on here steam cleaners, can't think of who, specifically, hopefully some will respond.
Unfortunately, it is not a room with a drain on the floor.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Thanks everyone.
I can't buy the product you mentioned as F10 because I guess it's not available here.
But there are different alternative disinfectant sprays for animals. The brand name is different.
Can you check if this product works for me? Screenshot_20211204_042910_com.huawei.browser_edit_260302188567572.jpg I
Screenshot_20211204_042922_com.huawei.browser_edit_260311223864446.jpg

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Or are there different ideas that you know of and that I can apply differently?

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say Pasha is beautiful. :heart:

And maybe this is old, old research...but I remember Reading on the Cockatiel Cottage website that steam cleaning a cage was not as disinfecting as people previously thought.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say Pasha is beautiful. :heart:

And maybe this is old, old research...but I remember Reading on the Cockatiel Cottage website that steam cleaning a cage was not as disinfecting as people previously thought.
Thank you so much :heart:

reetybird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Casper
Hello to everyone. :)
I had shared Pasha's room before. I can't wash it like a normal cage because I can't take it off.
View attachment 398474
So I spray boiling water and then wipe it all over with a wet cloth. Some say it can be wiped with vinegar, but I don't think vinegar will work.I thought I could clean it with disinfectant but I wasn't sure because I can't rinse it well with water. I can wipe it with a cloth.Should I continue cleaning this way?
I also found this product. I don't know how useful it is.
Can you give me new advice? I wanted to consult you.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Baking soda and vinegar might work? It’ll dissolve the poop and make it real easy to wipe off.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Microfibre cloths were recommended to me & work well for dry or wet dusting/ cleaning.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
I've been using hydrogen peroxide as a disinfectant on surfaces throughout the pandemic. Used properly (e.g. clean the surface well first then leave the hydrogen peroxide to sit for at least 10 mins), it is shown to kill many viruses, bacteria, fungus and spores, is safe once rinsed off and dry and doesn't release any fumes.

I also already have lots on hand, and F10 is sold out or expensive to ship where I am. So I thought why not use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect the bird cage? I don't read about many people using it for cleaning bird cages though so maybe it's not an effective or safe disinfectant for birds?

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
What are ingredients of the Aquamirus product? If you google F10 veterinary disinfectant you can see the ingredients on the label to see if they are similar.

Hydrogen peroxide would be another good choice. Whatever you use, also check to see that it's safe on your tiles, some products (like vinegar) should not be used on natural stone.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Many members use F10sc which doesn’t need to be rinsed off but you do still need to wash items clean somehow before disinfecting them, I know we’ve had a few here buy a 200ml bottle from another country and have it shipped to them if they can’t get it locally- 200ml will last most people a very long time as it’s concentrated so you only use 2-4mls per litre of water.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Is water with hydrogen peroxide really safe and beneficial?
Do you mind if I clean the cage first, then spray it with hydrogen peroxide, and then wipe it again with a cloth?
Or should I not wipe after spraying?
I'm sorry, maybe I'm tiring you all, but when I talk to you, I feel comfortable.
Thank you so much.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not use hydrogen peroxide for anything anymore so I cant answer for certain for the application you want help with but if I did have to use it, I would want it well rinsed off before my bird went near the surfaces I used it on. I know there are different strengths of hydrogen peroxide and I have no clue if it is recommended to dilute it with water- I always thought it came in different strengths so it could be used neat for varying things.

For disinfecting anything you will always need to clean it first then disinfect after the item is clean... disinfectant is for killing germs and viruses that the naked eye can't see, you know- the stuff that is left behind after all the chunks have been washed off.
As most disinfectants need a certain timeframe to actually work (usually 5-10 minutes for many disinfectants) it is often recommended to mist disinfectant and leave to dry (not all are the same so always read directions for individual products).

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I do not use hydrogen peroxide for anything anymore so I cant answer for certain for the application you want help with but if I did have to use it, I would want it well rinsed off before my bird went near the surfaces I used it on. I know there are different strengths of hydrogen peroxide and I have no clue if it is recommended to dilute it with water- I always thought it came in different strengths so it could be used neat for varying things.

For disinfecting anything you will always need to clean it first then disinfect after the item is clean... disinfectant is for killing germs and viruses that the naked eye can't see, you know- the stuff that is left behind after all the chunks have been washed off.
As most disinfectants need a certain timeframe to actually work (usually 5-10 minutes for many disinfectants) it is often recommended to mist disinfectant and leave to dry (not all are the same so always read directions for individual products).
Thank you. Yes you are so right.
I wanted to ask you about another product. I spoke to our vet and he recommended me Virkon S disinfectant. Have you used or heard of it before?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you're just trying to clean, a steam cleaner works wonders.
The mist is hot, and easily loosens dirt/food/poo without soaking the surrounding areas.
I then have a soft brush to scrub tight areas, and paper towels to clean up the loosened bits.
I use just water.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
If you're just trying to clean, a steam cleaner works wonders.
The mist is hot, and easily loosens dirt/food/poo without soaking the surrounding areas.
I then have a soft brush to scrub tight areas, and paper towels to clean up the loosened bits.
I use just water.
Thank you.
You said you only used water.
Don't you use F10 or a different disinfectant?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't disinfect on a daily/regular basis. My birds never see another bird, nor am I around any.
Normally I just use water, and soap if really dirty, to clean. (a safe non-toxic soap like Dawn dish soap)
I have used vinegar for perches/water bottles/dirty toys, etc..

But I'm also old school and have never had a bottle of hand sanitizer in my house, so take that into consideration before taking what I say as the best way to do things.