• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on breeding lorikeets

gervintan

Moving in
Real Name
gervin tan
Hello, I am new to lorikeets I have adpoted a pair of lorikeets as from the local pet store they said that are already a proven pair....

What advice can you guys share so that i can breed more of them...

I have a cage and i use a drum nestbox but they wont go inside the nestbox its been a month. they are just always on the perch bonded together always.

What food are best for them to breed i feed them

Bannanas and some leaf in the morning.
Apple for lunch.
I was thinking of boiled eggs for dinner? is this good for them?
153425321_1013827372477881_651751675051526247_n.jpg

gervintan

Moving in
Real Name
gervin tan
How do you guys give the fruits? do you use a blender for it? or just give it as is?

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Personally I don’t have a Lori, but I do know people serve them both ways especially whole, I tagged some people with more experience and knowledge

gervintan

Moving in
Real Name
gervin tan
Personally I don’t have a Lori, but I do know people serve them both ways especially whole, I tagged some people with more experience and knowledge
Thank You very much Mr. mango!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Np! Depending on where you are located we can find and recommend certain formulas to you

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your birds need to be on a much better diet than just banana apple and some kind of leaf.
They need a good amount of exercise too, do they fly a lot?

Have you checked if the kind of nest box you’ve offered is anything similar to the nest boxes most other lorikeet breeders use?

Do you also feed your birds the nectar they should have? It comes as a powder and I believe it can be fed as a dry powder or made into wet paste.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
They also love fruit like bananas, oranges, and melons

gervintan

Moving in
Real Name
gervin tan
Your birds need to be on a much better diet than just banana apple and some kind of leaf.
They need a good amount of exercise too, do they fly a lot?

Have you checked if the kind of nest box you’ve offered is anything similar to the nest boxes most other lorikeet breeders use?

Do you also feed your birds the nectar they should have? It comes as a powder and I believe it can be fed as a dry powder or made into wet paste.

Hello, for the nestbox some friends just told me that they can lay eggs in a drum design. I really have no idea on which particular NESTBOX they should have? really am newbie at lorikeets.

As for flying yes the cage is big.
As for diet I am hoping for someone who can share me their daily foods diet for lorikeet i really have not much idea......

RavenClaw

Moving in
Real Name
Sam Merlotte
There are a couple of research papers which touch upon the dietary Supplementation for reproductive Psittaculidae.

Lorikeets need 13.2% of their dietary intake to be protein in order to maintain breeding performance. However, a good nutritional source of lysine, methionine and cysteine is also required.

This can be mostly accomplished by offering a high quality Lorikeet mix like Wombaroo or Nekton Lori. Further, supplementing Vitamin C and E through fruit is also recommended.

Lastly, I'd recommend supplementing their diets with some flowers and fruits from the following lists:

Reference:

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You definitely need to have the diet in order before allowing breeding.

As for the nest, birds can be peculiar and if the nestbox is not up to their standards then they won´t go in. It could be the style, or it could be the size. Or it could be in a ¨bad¨ position.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Since moving the birds can be stressful in and of itself, most people usually keep the diet the same as what the bird has been used to eating for a while. Then adjust it. What did the store say that they had been feeding the birds?

gervintan

Moving in
Real Name
gervin tan
Since moving the birds can be stressful in and of itself, most people usually keep the diet the same as what the bird has been used to eating for a while. Then adjust it. What did the store say that they had been feeding the birds?
They said an apple a day..

but i have beend adjust to all kinds of fruits daily and they have been eating them all today i gave them SQUASH and some chilies

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
That still isn’t an adequate diet for lorikeets, you need to provide nectar in addition to lots of fruits, without an adequate diet they likely may not breed or even be nice, lots of people have posted links for different nectars and have written which are good as well as what fruits and flowers to feed, pls look at them and give ur lorikeets a proper diet.

gervintan

Moving in
Real Name
gervin tan
That still isn’t an adequate diet for lorikeets, you need to provide nectar in addition to lots of fruits, without an adequate diet they likely may not breed or even be nice, lots of people have posted links for different nectars and have written which are good as well as what fruits and flowers to feed, pls look at them and give ur lorikeets a proper diet.

yes still reading which nectar product is best and which one is available in my area.... maybe a week or soo will post an update on which nectar mix i will choose..

gervintan

Moving in
Real Name
gervin tan
154773729_106850451361581_2606120017899609199_n.jpg 155276270_242628814200995_9125385765507994541_n.jpg

These are the ones ive been choosing have anyone tried them before?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I believe both those brands of bird food are used by some of our members.
The members I’m referring to don’t have lorikeets so they don’t use the nectar but they do buy pellets made by those companies.