• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on Adopting an Older Cockatiel

devin711

Checking out the neighborhood
Recently someone in my neighborhood posted about needing to rehome their 11 year old cockatiel (no indication as to why), who had also just lost it's best friend. I've always been interested in owning a cockatiel, but I'm not sure of the risks that may come with his bond to original owners, his age, and trust. If anyone has any advice on whether or not I should adopt, or if I shouldn't, please let me know!! (Also, I have two budgies, so I have basic bird knowledge/care skills and have been around/held larger birds before.)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Tiel just lost its best friend so you have to consider that its possible it may have been sick so quarantine & vet visit.
I'd say you have to meet the bird. All depends on relationship its had with its family & it seems it may have been a bonded pair & may not want too much human contact. Age is not quite as important than is the relationship it had during its life & its care. If you want a hands on bird companion you should try to choose one that has been handled. I'd get more info on the bird to decide. Ask lots of questions. If they don;t want to answer or it does not add up then maybe you should pass.

You need to know diet & any health problems of the birds & what happened to the other tiel & age of other tiel & how long they had the bird. Also need to know the relationship the owners had. Was the bird handled etc & how the bird is with it to try to decide if its the bird for you.

Meet the bird. Look at the cage & conditions.

Good Luck

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Eleven really isn't that old for a cockatiel. (I have a 21 year old and a 31 year old tiel currently). I would be concerned about what his mate died from and whether the tiels ever received vet care. I think it's wonderful that you want to open your home up to this tiel. So many "older" birds are over looked.

Corriew

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Corrie
I adopted two four yr old males, they were not used to being out etc but they are now big sucks with one being a stalker/velcro. It took time to build a bond and they are still picky about scritches (they have to ask and not otherwise around) and hate baths currently but it is a marathon not a sprint. My biggest worry would be why did the mate die and is a new friend required. I have two because they were bonded males and as much as they squabble like and old married couple they really are inseparable.