• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
My Java Rice Male Finch passed some time this afternoon. My female is unsettled. I don't know what to do for her. Advice?

I don't know what happened to the male. He just got sick, was puffed up, feathers, and started sleeping tons. He was still eating and drinking. Vet appointment was next week, the earliest the only vet who deals with the birds could offer.

I do add a multivitamin to the water, daily. Fresh seed mix and fruits and vegetables cleaned and cut. Also give calcium in the form of crushed oyster shells. They're about a year and a half old.

I am heart broken, feel horrid for the female, named Mrs'. Male was Mr.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry for your loss. @fashionfobie may have some advice.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am very sorry your loss. :sorrow:

My advice is to keep your vet appointment. Bring your hen in, if it was something contagious she may need the support too. I wouldn't get another bird until you know what is going on. When you do get another bird they will also need to go through quarantine. In time I do suggest you get your hen a friend, it can be another female. It sounds like you are doing the right things in terms of diet. What is their enclosure like? Can you share a picture?

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
I am very sorry your loss. :sorrow:

My advice is to keep your vet appointment. Bring your hen in, if it was something contagious she may need the support too. I wouldn't get another bird until you know what is going on. When you do get another bird they will also need to go through quarantine. In time I do suggest you get your hen a friend, it can be another female. It sounds like you are doing the right things in terms of diet. What is their enclosure like? Can you share a picture?
The home is a 30 inch long by 20wide and roughly 20 inches high. I was saving up for a larger cage but ran into other pet vet bills along the way. I haven't cancelled the appointment. Poor girl is so confused. I just worry about her being solo. How long can she be alone? If I can't find another Java Rice finch what should I do?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Poor girl is so confused. I just worry about her being solo. How long can she be alone? If I can't find another Java Rice finch what should I do?
I understand. Poor little love, she will be lonely, but until you know she is healthy and quarantine you can't do much about it. Your new finch should stay separate for 6-8 weeks so you can trust that you aren't putting your hen at risk. During the time between appointments and quarantine you can try sharing lots of youtube clips of other Java finches. These will not replace the joy of a real friend, but they may help her feel more at ease.

I hope this helps. Let us know how her vet appointment goes.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm very sorry for your loss - yours & hers. Unfortunately, I have no advice. :sorrow: