• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Rescued Millie a few days back
I’m currently fostering her and have the opportunity to keep her .
First of all
She’s still young only under a year
Home she has come from though has had owners with young kids who have obviously teased her .
I have two kids myself so since she’s come she’s been really good hearted but has a bit of a bitting attitude (but considering what she’s been through don’t blame her )

she’s trustful of me I got one of my boys to do target training with her but she’s not willing with kids what so ever

shes not also eating much proper food
Or pellets /chop

she’s absolutely adventurous and is so happy she’s got so many toys (unlike where she came from)

I know she’s been raised right as I funny enough meant this little girl when she was a few weeks old
As I was looking at getting her .

Anyone my main goal right now is to get her training in order
And I need to sort out what to do with these stains on her feathers

thanks in advance and any advice is much appreciated

Attachments

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are her feathers white? I've never seen a galah with white feathers before. What are the stains from? You can try bathing her but depending on what the stains are the feathers just might have to molt out. What is she currently eating? I am not the best at training but a really good book to read is Good Bird by Barbara Heidenreich. She also has training videos and a website/blog with helpful info.

@Nancy B ? @Macawnutz ?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are her feathers white? I've never seen a galah with white feathers before.
That caught my eye as well! If they are I wonder if she's a mutation of some type.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Considering her age I wouldn't worry about the stains on her feathers. Young birds can really mess up their feathers. As for her diet....you might consider trying to hand feed her moist pellets. She could be regressing. Give her time to settle in before trying any training sessions. Dance, sing, act silly, parrots love silly. Kids move faster than adults, so have your kids move slower when they are around her until she gets better adjusted to her new home.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She is stunning!!! I've never seen a Galah like her before!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
She is gorgeous never seen a galah like her before. The staining her feathers, was there a smoker in her previous home? Nicotine can leave a residue on the feathers normally yellowish but it can get brownish after awhile. Will she get in shower on perch? A warm shower may help.

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
She’s a special mutation that’s for sure
I don’t know what’s caused the stains

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Are her feathers white? I've never seen a galah with white feathers before. What are the stains from? You can try bathing her but depending on what the stains are the feathers just might have to molt out. What is she currently eating? I am not the best at training but a really good book to read is Good Bird by Barbara Heidenreich. She also has training videos and a website/blog with helpful info.

@Nancy B ? @Macawnutz ?
I’ve been giving her mashed banana with pellets so she would end up eating pellets
Didn’t quite work
She only really loves her walnuts

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
She is gorgeous never seen a galah like her before. The staining her feathers, was there a smoker in her previous home? Nicotine can leave a residue on the feathers normally yellowish but it can get brownish after awhile. Will she get in shower on perch? A warm shower may help.
She’s had a warm shower yesterday

Attachments

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
She’s had a warm shower yesterday
Considering her age I wouldn't worry about the stains on her feathers. Young birds can really mess up their feathers. As for her diet....you might consider trying to hand feed her moist pellets. She could be regressing. Give her time to settle in before trying any training sessions. Dance, sing, act silly, parrots love silly. Kids move faster than adults, so have your kids move slower when they are around her until she gets better adjusted to her new home.
Only problem I have is she’s fussy and thinks she can only eat sunflower seeds ‍♀

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I was thinking her coloration must be a mutation too!
If this is so, I think those feathers you see as stained may just be where the mutation was not "perfect" and some of the usual grey comes thru.
So it is part of the feather and won't come off.

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
No
I was thinking her coloration must be a mutation too!
If this is so, I think those feathers you see as stained may just be where the mutation was not "perfect" and some of the usual grey comes thru.
So it is part of the feather and won't come off.
No her feathers are always pure white

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are also a pied, cinnamon, "blue", and albino mutation.
Oh thats interesting I'll definitely have to look those up! Especially the blue mutation.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatoos can be stubborn when it comes to eating. I wonder if she would like nutriberries?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Oh thats interesting I'll definitely have to look those up! Especially the blue mutation.
Even though it is called a "blue" mutation, there is no actual blue on the bird. It is white and a silver/grey.