• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed

Crazybird

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi I'm new here and hoping this is the group to help. I've had mixed advice so I'm not sure which is the best path! This is the first time that I've dealt with eggs so I'm completely clueless...I found 3 eggs.. I have candled them and there is nothing growing/changing so I'm assuming they are infertile it's been over a week now ...the male is sitting on them in the day and keeps the female away and he is rather aggressive..then she sits on them at night...I'm wondering when do i remove them? Or what do I need to do? I'm sad for them not having babies this time...fingers crossed for next time...any advice would be great thank you

Crazybird

Checking out the neighborhood
So sorry I forgot to put that in ...I have cockatiels

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I am not an expert on cockatiels, but I will try to help.

First off, how old are your birds? What kind of diet are they eating? Also, do you have any previous experience raising baby parrots or other birds?

It is a good idea to consider carefully before allowing parrots to breed. As a first time breeder, you will need to do plenty of research and buy supplies in advance to make sure that both you and your birds are ready for babies. A lot can go wrong so you want to be well-prepared. Breeding is a big responsibility.

If your birds are pets and you are not prepared for baby parrots, it may be better to simply remove any eggs as soon as you notice them and replace the real eggs with dummy eggs. Or boil the eggs, mark them so you can tell them apart from freshly laid eggs and put them back in the nest. Also, it is good to know that hormonal behavior, like egg-laying can be discouraged by adjusting the parrot's environment in various ways. With the right changes, your birds can be encouraged to not breed unless you want them to.

If you DO want to breed cockatiels, I recommend reading as much as you can right now. Ideally, you should be getting ready before the birds are ready. Fortunately, there are many knowledgeable people here that can help you find the answers you need.

Speaking of which, back to your question - you mentioned it has been a week already. Is that from when you found the eggs? How long since the last egg was laid? Also, where were the eggs laid - do they have a nestbox?