• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed!

szan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Hi there
My boy Sam just had a bit of a freakout when our landlord came to prune trees outside the window near his play gym. He flew around a lot and bumped into things a few times. I didn't try to grab him or anything because I didn't want to try and hurt him instead of help him, instead I waited until he landed somewhere and sat with him to calm him down by whistling. Then I moved him to his cage so I could cover him up as the pruning was being finished. He's not bleeding or squaking or showing any obvious signs of injury, he's preening himself as I write this!

What I want to know is; is there anything subtle I should look for in the coming hour to indicate I need to take him to the vet? He's my first bird, so I admit I'm not the master of analysing symptoms.

I do know when hes uncomfortable with his feathere, because he makes annoyed chirps and is restless. He's not doing that at all right now, so I'm pretty sure he;s okay. Just a scared mama! :D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww poor little guy. Hopefully he´s not seriously hurt. You did great calming him down :)

is there anything subtle I should look for in the coming hour to indicate I need to take him to the vet?
You are looking for anything abnormal. Things he wouldn´t normally do, or acting in a way he normally wouldn´t.
-inactivity
-loss of appetite
-vomiting
-shakes
-sneezes
-strange discharge in nares
-being fluffed up/fluffy
-loss of balance
-head tilt
-walking in a strange way
-favouring one foot over the other
-strange wing movements, or inability to move wings when stretching
-sleeping more frequently
-strange poops, particularly blar tar like poops / lack of poops.
-breathing open-beaked for long periods of time
-eyes that are not bright and ¨awake¨ / squinting
-bleeding (though I think that one is obvious)

I can´t think of any more off the top of my head, but basically, anything that is different.

Sometimes birds can get bruises, and they usually heal on their own, but if you see any marks and want reassurance or think there´s a problem, you can head to the vet to get it checked out.

szan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Aww poor little guy. Hopefully he´s not seriously hurt. You did great calming him down :)

You are looking for anything abnormal. Things he wouldn´t normally do, or acting in a way he normally wouldn´t.
-inactivity
-loss of appetite
-vomiting
-shakes
-sneezes
-strange discharge in nares
-being fluffed up/fluffy
-loss of balance
-head tilt
-walking in a strange way
-favouring one foot over the other
-strange wing movements, or inability to move wings when stretching
-sleeping more frequently
-strange poops, particularly blar tar like poops / lack of poops.
-breathing open-beaked for long periods of time
-eyes that are not bright and ¨awake¨ / squinting
-bleeding (though I think that one is obvious)

I can´t think of any more off the top of my head, but basically, anything that is different.

Sometimes birds can get bruises, and they usually heal on their own, but if you see any marks and want reassurance or think there´s a problem, you can head to the vet to get it checked out.
Thank you so much for all that info! He wasn't doing any of that before I put him to bed a couple of hours ago. I also took the time to give him a cuddle so I could test if he'd let me rest my hand on him to check for tenderness but he seemed fine! His grip on my finger was good too, so I think he's just fine! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That´s good :)

I would just keep en eye out for the next few days, hopefully all will be ok.