• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed

lauralou

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Laura
Hi all
I've had Kiwi now for three weeks and I'm wondering how best to bond with him and get him to trust me. He's now 15 weeks old. When I first got him I think I made the mistake of trying to handle him by catching him but ive since read thats wrong. I had a blue quaker that died two years ago and he was always happy to fly out of his cage. Kiwi is a little more reserved he won't fly out when I leave his door open, I talk to him and sing to him alot and he has started taking millet from my hand but at a distance. He doesn't seem as scared as he was and he's definitely found his voice.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Laura

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
Hmm.. you can try teaching him 'target' to build his confidence. Don't grab him, it makes him feel like a predator has him. It could break his trust :), its good that you stopped it. Sorry about your blue quaker, I know how hard it is to lose a bird (I lost my budgie 2 weeks ago :(. Some take a lot longer to tame, just keep doing what you are doing and try not to push him. Keep taming sessions short but be consistent!
Goodluck with little Kiwi give him some time he's just a little baby :D
Have fun with Kiwi boy ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can try putting a perch just outside his door and hanging a piece of millet by it to encourage him to come out on his own. Also, having a play stand near by or play area might help too. I think sometimes new birds don't like coming out in part because they don't know where to go when they get out.

laracroft

Strolling the yard
Congrats on bringing home Kiwi! I'm sorry for the loss of your quaker. Have patience with your little guy, everything's new and different and he is still very young. Catching him was the wrong idea, it's good you're doing more research. The main thing to focus on right now is building trust. It's great that he'll take treats from you! The singing and talking is also a great idea. It sounds like you're already making progress. Try to make outside the cage more appealing, as has been mentioned. You can hang perches, treats, and toys on the outside as well as the inside of the cage. And make sure to give him lots of opportunity to come out--again, patience is needed. Don't open the door, wait five minutes, and close it again--bring something to do and just sit with him with the cage door open, let him think about it.