• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice Needed

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
We left his cage open for a while today, and eventually he flew out, but no luck in him stepping up or wanting to be handled at all.
Well, it's still progress. Baby steps!

What a little darling!

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Hes so handsome! Time will tell, he just needs to get comfortable and start trusting, once he pick his person the bond is forever and all the wait is worth it! Its a great start that he let you give him scritiches so its going to be on his time and he will come around soon enough

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Update:
We continued to leave his cage door open while we were in the room, hoping he would come out on his own terms again. Eventually he did, but he flew into everything possible. Thank goodness I had closed the curtains just in case. :facepalm: He doesn’t seem to know how to turn when he flies. Per usual the only way to get him back in his cage was to use his swing. Despite his love for millet, bribing him with it hasn’t worked. Someone suggested clipping his wings so he will rely on us, but I don’t think I want to go that route.
I’m not giving up, but I won’t lie.. I am disappointed with how things are going. I want to give this little guy a good life, but he doesn’t like us being near his cage and I’m nervous to let him out again because I’m afraid he’s going to hit a wall too hard next time.
To end on a positive note, he is discovering new ways to have fun. I spent a lot of time pushing little “basketballs” around on the bottom of his cage to show him they’re toys, and now he finally gets it! I’ve started calling his cage Mav Land. When you watch him play he looks like he’s having a grand old time. He absolutely loves his Ferris wheel (even when I don’t put millet in the bucket seats :laughing2:). I would definitely recommend it to anyone else that has a parrotlet.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Eventually he did, but he flew into everything possible.
It’s going to happen the first time or so, he needs to learn the layout of the home. My girl just got her wings back in and figure out she could fly and took a bad turn or 2 but I use saff flower seeds she loves them for route training and keeping them short. May be a good way to bribe you little man with his favorite seed lol others have used hemp and sunflowers

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good Luck!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They have to build up flying muscles and develop skill. Sometimes I use an almond sliver as a bribe/treat.