• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed!! Two plane flights in the same summer?

sydneytiel

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dana
Hi everyone (I hope I have chosen the right topic). I have been offered a summer job in the UK - which I'm really excited about - yet I would never take it if I couldn't take my birds with me. UK requisites apart, I would like to know your opinion because I am not sure what to do: is getting my birds on a plane, staying in the UK for three months, and then getting them on a plane to go back home okay?

I don't know if it counts for something, but they have travelled by car and I am pretty sure they enjoy it (so they're okay with the carrier), and the flights between my country and the UK are about 2-2:30h long.

Thank you in advance!! :)

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
What kind of birds do you have, and how many?
Are they small enough to put in a travel on carrier that can safely fit under the seat?
Have you checked with the airlines to see if they allow birds? (Some don't)
I'm not sure about involving CITES since you are returning....

sydneytiel

Real Name
Dana
What kind of birds do you have, and how many?
Are they small enough to put in a travel on carrier that can safely fit under the seat?
Have you checked with the airlines to see if they allow birds? (Some don't)
I'm not sure about involving CITES since you are returning....
So I have 4 cockatiels, but when travelling I separate the 2 bonded pairs in 2 different carriers, which I am pretty sure fit under the seat. I have found a few airlines that allow birds, my favourite is Iberia (a Spanish one)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No animal can enter the UK travelling in the cabin of an aircraft. All animals, including birds, must travel in the hold. There are special requirements for their travel cage and you may be restricted in the airport that you fly to.

You will need all the necessary documentation for an animal to enter the UK; as far as I am aware, the fact that they're returning doesn't change that. However, you may need documentation for them to re-enter your home country. You need to be very careful and precise about finding what you need and filling it out within the timeframes specified as failure to do this correctly will mean that your birds will not be able to enter the country.

sydneytiel

Real Name
Dana
No animal can enter the UK travelling in the cabin of an aircraft. All animals, including birds, must travel in the hold. There are special requirements for their travel cage and you may be restricted in the airport that you fly to.

You will need all the necessary documentation for an animal to enter the UK; as far as I am aware, the fact that they're returning doesn't change that. However, you may need documentation for them to re-enter your home country. You need to be very careful and precise about finding what you need and filling it out within the timeframes specified as failure to do this correctly will mean that your birds will not be able to enter the country.
Oh I read on the airline page that they do accept birds in the cabin. I read that they are not allowed in London, but I am going to Edinburgh so I didn't think I needed to worry about that.
I still have to get the documentation in order, but I just got the offer today so I haven't fully looked into it. But I have taken a brief look and taken some notes :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It may be true for flights within Europe. Flights in and out of the UK are different.

You may be able to have your birds in the cabin when leaving the UK, but not to enter.

sydneytiel

Real Name
Dana
It may be true for flights within Europe. Flights in and out of the UK are different.

You may be able to have your birds in the cabin when leaving the UK, but not to enter.

Does this mean I won't be able to take them then? Because if so, I'll decline the job offer

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are also restrictions on which airports animals can enter. These differ by airline

As you can see, Iberia will only fly animals to London Gatwick or London Heathrow. As per their webpage, all animals must travel as freight

https://www.iberiaexpress.com/en/ge...nformation/before-you-go/travelling-with-pets

Countries with laws restricting animal entry: Flights to/from the United Kingdom:

Animals are not admitted in the cabin (PETC) on flights to/from the United Kingdom. No requests given to the Call Centre will be processed.

On flights to/from the United Kingdom we only accept animals as freight. Please speak to a freight agent, who will make the booking with Iberia Cargo.

In order to process a reservation for animals travelling as freight to/from the United Kingdom, please contact the cargo booking department, open Monday to Friday from 09.00 to 18.00. The cargo department can be contacted via telephone: 910 059 551, through their website www.iagcargo.com or via their e-mail address reservas@iagcargo.com

sydneytiel

Real Name
Dana

sydneytiel

Real Name
Dana
There are also restrictions on which airports animals can enter. These differ by airline

As you can see, Iberia will only fly animals to London Gatwick or London Heathrow. As per their webpage, all animals must travel as freight

https://www.iberiaexpress.com/en/ge...nformation/before-you-go/travelling-with-pets
just point out that that's not the web: https://www.iberia.com/es/viajar-co...AyDrlcvUZU3GM_pRjMRtnXETDHaIIqghoCbFkQAvD_BwE this one is. And also I wouldn't mind changing airline (but I kinda have lost all hope)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a UK-wide ban that applies to every single commercial airline.

However, if you are uncertain and want clarification, then call the airline. I encourage you to get your information from the source.

sydneytiel

Real Name
Dana
If you are uncertain, then call the airline. I encourage you to get your information from the source.
I will thank you! What do you think about them getting on a plane twice in three-four months?? Is it too much stress?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Given they'd have to travel as cargo (regardless of whatever airline you fly with) and you'd have to do a lot of paperwork and organisation, I wouldn't put my birds through it.

If the position is important for your career development, I would either board them or find someone who could look after them for the three-four months that you are away.

sydneytiel

Real Name
Dana
Given they'd have to travel as cargo (regardless of whatever airline you fly with) and you'd have to do a lot of paperwork and organisation, I wouldn't put my birds through it.

If the position is important for your career development, I would either board them or find someone who could look after them for the three-four months that you are away.
Thank you. It is important, but so are they. I'll just wait until I'm able to move there permanently then

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You would not be able to bring your birds to the UK at the moment under current Avian Flu QT laws, this might change but i wouldnt plan on travelling with birds to the UK right now as things are very likely to change.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Apart from what @Wardy Mentioned, here in the UK all domestic birds are in "lockdown" until further notice here.
I wasn't aware of when you plan to travel.
Even at the best of times, birds have to be quarantined for 30 days prior to travel so you would have to find somewhere in the UK to quarantine them before your return.
I would personally not do it as it could be very stressful for your birds.
I did bring my 2 macaws to the UK 7 years ago. They had to fly as cargo. They could not be in the same cage. Each of your birds would need to have full band or microchip. There is alot of red tape involved and can be very stressful for yourself as well as your birds.
@tka has provided good information for you, as well as suggesting you board them there or have friends and family take care of them until your return.
I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but hopefully you can find an alternate plan.

sydneytiel

Real Name
Dana
Apart from what @Wardy Mentioned, here in the UK all domestic birds are in "lockdown" until further notice here.
I wasn't aware of when you plan to travel.
Even at the best of times, birds have to be quarantined for 30 days prior to travel so you would have to find somewhere in the UK to quarantine them before your return.
I would personally not do it as it could be very stressful for your birds.
I did bring my 2 macaws to the UK 7 years ago. They had to fly as cargo. They could not be in the same cage. Each of your birds would need to have full band or microchip. There is alot of red tape involved and can be very stressful for yourself as well as your birds.
@tka has provided good information for you, as well as suggesting you board them there or have friends and family take care of them until your return.
I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but hopefully you can find an alternate plan.
Yes, thank you to everyone (@Wardy , @Icey , @tka ) ! Of course and without a doubt, my birds come first. Luckily the job offer was only a day old and didn't hurt as much to decline hahaha. Better to be safe than sorry

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
It's a UK-wide ban that applies to every single commercial airline.

However, if you are uncertain and want clarification, then call the airline. I encourage you to get your information from the source.
Do the countries have train service?

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
You would not be able to bring your birds to the UK at the moment under current Avian Flu QT laws, this might change but i wouldnt plan on travelling with birds to the UK right now as things are very likely to change.
Q-- So the restrictions are because of the Avian Flu?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do the countries have train service?
The Eurostar passenger train does not allow animals.

The Eurotunnel is a car transport and does allow animals. Animals must travel in the vehicle. As before, animals must have the appropriate documents to travel. You cannot board the shuttle without a car or other vehicle. You would then need to travel from Folkestone to Edinburgh.

The restrictions are largely due to the UK's status as free from rabies and other diseases. Restrictions have been in place for decades; this is not a new development due to avian flu.

The UK takes this incredibly seriously and has no problem with confiscating and potentially euthanising animals who do not enter the country through the accepted channels so please stop attempting to find ways to wriggle around this.

Last edited: