• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed- trying to help a macaw

OllieTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
Hello!
Macaws are my dream bird, and I have always planned on adding one to the family. I was originally thinking in a year or so, but I have come across a blue and gold macaw called Paco that I desperately want to help. I came across Paco, of all places, at my grandmother’s nursing home. My grandma moved to this facility just as COVID hit, so all of our visits have been outdoors on the porch. As her health is declining, we are now allowed inside to visit. I was surprised to see a covered bird cage in the corner, and I asked to see the parrot, thinking it would be an African grey or a smallish Amazon, maybe. It was a blue and gold macaw, in a little corner cage barely 4 feet long (if that) at the longest side. 2 perches, and his only toy was a bell on a chain. There are few things break my heart more than parrots kept confined in little cages without toys. I immediately assumed he belonged to someone who didn’t do their research or bother taking care of him, and decided I would be more than willing to rescue him, if his owner was willing to part with him. After talking with my mom, I found out Paco is 35 years old, and is actually quite loved by his owner. Paco used to have his own bird room at his owners house, and was quite spoiled. When his owner needed to move into a nursing home, they let him bring Paco (which I find quite surprising!) but of course Paco no longer has his own room- he is living in what used to be his travel cage. I have not yet talked to his owner, but it sounds like Paco’s owner loves him very much but is simply losing the ability to care for Paco. I plan on asking the nursing home if I could talk to Paco’s owner, and see if he would be willing to let me have him. However, I’m not quite sure what I should say. I definitely don’t want to offend Paco’s owner or imply that he is doing a bad job taking care of him, or come off like I’m trying to steal his macaw. I’m not sure if his owner might even be looking for someone to pass Paco on to, or if he is simply clinging to Paco because of how much he loves him. So, I’m not sure I’ll even be allowed to talk to Paco’s owner, or if Paco’s owner would even consider rehoming him to me, but any advice on how to go about this situation or what to say to Paco’s owner would be greatly appreciated. I simply want to do anything I can to make sure Paco is being looked after properly.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Certainly a delicate situation.

Tread very lightly and have a friendly chat. All you can do is offer to take in Paco, if they say no, then that is it.

Maybe offer some sort of deal? Like you will send pictures, or visit once a month (permitted it doesn´t stress Paco) or something?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Perhaps start off by simply introducing yourself and expressing your appreciation for parrots. Find out more about Paco and see where the conversation goes from there.

Maybe ask if it would be alright if you bring a treat for Paco when you visit again.

I would probably go into the first conversation without any plan to bring up re-homing. But if it does come up, you might be able to feel them out to see if there are any plans for Paco's future.

Take it slow and get to know the owner. It is possible that they already have a plan. Or maybe they don't know what to do and would welcome your help. A lot depends on the owner's desires.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
What do the nursing home think of it? Maybe ask them what they thing about the bird. They might say it would do better in a new forever home?

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
People in nursing homes tend to have little enough control over their lives already- I think it’d be terribly unkind to Paco’s owner to try to go over their head by talking only to the nursing home.

I think @Destiny ’s advice is really good- talk to the person without expectations. They’ll probably want to get to know you over time- even if they’ve been looking to rehome, would YOU give your beloved pet of 35 years to a stranger?
Maybe they have a family member in mind to take Paco, or something set up with a rescue for when they’re ready to say goodbye. Or maybe a bird-knowledgeable person offering to take in their old friend would be a relief. You don’t know until you ask.

OllieTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
People in nursing homes tend to have little enough control over their lives already- I think it’d be terribly unkind to Paco’s owner to try to go over their head by talking only to the nursing home.

I think @Destiny ’s advice is really good- talk to the person without expectations. They’ll probably want to get to know you over time- even if they’ve been looking to rehome, would YOU give your beloved pet of 35 years to a stranger?
Maybe they have a family member in mind to take Paco, or something set up with a rescue for when they’re ready to say goodbye. Or maybe a bird-knowledgeable person offering to take in their old friend would be a relief. You don’t know until you ask.
Exactly. I’m not sure if maybe this person already has a family member lined up and willing to take in Paco, or if maybe it would be quite helpful to have someone offer Paco a home. I can’t imagine giving my conures of 4 years away, let alone a parrot I’ve had for 35 years. I’m sure this is a very hard situation for Paco’s owner, and I think going slowly and simply meeting them (without actually offering to take in Paco right away) is a wonderful idea.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
100% agree.
To go over Pacos owners head and rip him away would be quite cruel to the both of them.

They’ll probably want to get to know you over time- even if they’ve been looking to rehome, would YOU give your beloved pet of 35 years to a stranger?
:yes3:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What about seeing if the nursing home is going to keep him once the owner is gone.
If they think he's good for the residents, they just might.
Then perhaps giving him a better living area might be the best thing to do.
Who knows, the home may even be willing to help.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There was a lady who came looking for help for the same thing but it was regarding a galah and some other birds.
The best she was able to do for the birds was give larger cages and some decent perches and toys to the birds.
The macaw may very well be the one thing keeping happiness in the residents life and could possibly have plans made for its care after the owner passes on.
Please tread very lightly and carefully with this so as not to offend, frighten/threaten or complicate things for the bird or the owner.

OllieTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
What about seeing if the nursing home is going to keep him once the owner is gone.
If they think he's good for the residents, they just might.
Then perhaps giving him a better living area might be the best thing to do.
Who knows, the home may even be willing to help.
I do know for a fact that my mom has already talked to the nursing home about how Paco’s cage is far too small for him, but I believe she was brushed off. I just don’t think the nursing home quite grasps the concept of just how much enrichment, space, interaction, etc a large parrot needs.
There was a lady who came looking for help for the same thing but it was regarding a galah and some other birds.
The best she was able to do for the birds was give larger cages and some decent perches and toys to the birds.
The macaw may very well be the one thing keeping happiness in the residents life and could possibly have plans made for its care after the owner passes on.
Please tread very lightly and carefully with this so as not to offend, frighten/threaten or complicate things for the bird or the owner.
This is another of my main worries. My grandma has been through several different nursing homes after having a stroke about 10 years ago. However, my mom has always been there to advocate for what she needs and visits my grandmother nearly every day, as does one of my aunts. Some people do not have anyone to visit or care for them, and if this were the case, I think it would be horribly cruel to the birds owner to take away one of the only lights in his life. I’m not sure if this is the case, as I know he has a wife at home (scared of the macaw) but regardless I’m sure the owner is quite attached to Paco. I may inquire if he would ever be looking for someone to take in the macaw, and if not, leave it at that.

OllieTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
This is so sad. No matter the outcome, there's no happy ending for all. :(
I know :sad4: I think I’m going to ask if I can bring Paco a couple toys, and hopefully talk to his owner then. I will try and get a feel, if possible, for what Paco’s future might be...Best case scenario, someone offering Paco a home if needed would be a relief. If not, then I’m not sure how much more I could do for Paco :(

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi, just make sure maybe that the toys won’t make much noise or the staff may take it away as it disturbs patients or them. Would be a shame to make him happy just to have it taken away again.

all the best, hope it works out for everyone!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it is noisy or messy then the toys may not be allowed but you also need to remember that if he is in a travel cage which is already too small as a home for him then every square mm of space is needed for the bird so the toy needs to be small and preferably one that can attach to the side of the cage maybe?
The person I mentioned in my other post who tried to rectify this same sort of situation got rather stressed and fearful after she raised her concerns about the treatment and care level of the birds as then the management was just basically going to get rid of the birds to stop any potential future hassles they may cause with the well intentioned mention of the housing, food and care not being up to standard. In the end the best she could do for the birds so the owner did not have their birds ripped away and the birds did not get sent to goodness knows where was to buy them better cages, toys, food and perches.
The staff in those places are usually over worked and underappreciated and do not want extra responsibilities (especially ones not in their job descriptions) to the ones they already have- there is a fine balance between management and staff letting patients have their pets at aged care facilities so unfortunately a lot of the times it is a massive compromise in the care and housing of the animals so the animal can stay with their person.

Be very careful to not make the facility feel like you are being critical and are likely to cause them hassles or extra paperwork and checks or trying to take from the vulnerable patient- see what you can do to work with them to better the birds life but be very cautious for the sake of the bird.

OllieTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
If it is noisy or messy then the toys may not be allowed but you also need to remember that if he is in a travel cage which is already too small as a home for him then every square mm of space is needed for the bird so the toy needs to be small and preferably one that can attach to the side of the cage maybe?
The person I mentioned in my other post who tried to rectify this same sort of situation got rather stressed and fearful after she raised her concerns about the treatment and care level of the birds as then the management was just basically going to get rid of the birds to stop any potential future hassles they may cause with the well intentioned mention of the housing, food and care not being up to standard. In the end the best she could do for the birds so the owner did not have their birds ripped away and the birds did not get sent to goodness knows where was to buy them better cages, toys, food and perches.
The staff in those places are usually over worked and underappreciated and do not want extra responsibilities (especially ones not in their job descriptions) to the ones they already have- there is a fine balance between management and staff letting patients have their pets at aged care facilities so unfortunately a lot of the times it is a massive compromise in the care and housing of the animals so the animal can stay with their person.

Be very careful to not make the facility feel like you are being critical and are likely to cause them hassles or extra paperwork and checks or trying to take from the vulnerable patient- see what you can do to work with them to better the birds life but be very cautious for the sake of the bird.
I will do my best to pick out some toys that will conserve as much space as possible, without being too noisy or messy. We will definitely proceed delicately and gently, and will not cause any tension, strain, or hassle for the nursing home or Paco’s owner. Thank y’all for all the advice!