• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed, should I get another bird?

Emilyjakubac

Moving in
Hello, i wasn't sure where to post this, so please let me know if there is a better thread than this.

I recently lost my cockatiel who had been with me since I was a child. I was pretty devastated when it happened, but she was beyond average age. She was out playing with me one day, and the next day she was just gone, in her favorite sleeping spot. I wasn't entirely shocked, the past few years I've been thinking about how old she was, but it's an adjustment not having her around after all this time.

I haven't been bird-less since I was a kid, so it's very strange to me not having her tinkering around in the background or sitting on me while I do chores.

I would like to have another bird, but I've changed jobs and I'm not home much. This was ok for my old bird as she was less active than she used to be, and was happy to play a little in the morning and before bed.

Is there any species of bird who tends to do ok with just an hour or two of my time a day? Granted, they would have a large enough space + toys in their cage while I'm gone, but I know that in order to thrive some species just don't handle being alone very well.

I miss having a bird, but I don't want to be unfair to them. Attached a picture of my girl, missing her a little extra today.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the loss of your tiel. Have you thought about getting a pair of birds? Like budgies? They typically do well in pairs and in a large enough cage, I think would be fine with just a couple of hours of attention a day.

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
I'm so sorry for your loss. Knowing it was probably her time doesn't make it any easier for loved ones left behind.

My understanding is that budgies can do well with a few hours of devoted attention a day, and I think the advice to get two is even better. It might take a little more patience and effort to get a strong bond with you but it's not impossible. Maybe you could find a pair of brothers or a pair of sisters from the same clutch? I'm assuming you do not want to deal with breeding issues lol.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Your pearly was beautiful.
Glad she had a long happylife with you.
Yes, its odd being birdless when having had one for so long.
You do have to think about your lifestyle change now with working away from home.
You might still be able to do a tiel if you really wanted.
People work & have birds. Sometimes 2 birds don't get along anyway. Depends on the bird.
2 budgies can bring cheer into the home & less demand on you. Maybe even a male canary that sings to you.