• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent advice needed -- pulled down nest

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I'm summer pruning apple trees at the moment and mistakenly pulled down a nest with two baby birds in it . It's summer now so I thought whoever was going to be hatched this year already did and the nest looked a bit old and ragged like an old nest from last year . The baby birds look healthy and fully feathered and don't look hungry .They aren't parrots and I looked around to see if the mother was nearby ( this happened yesterday) The only bird hanging around was a black smaller bird with an orange beak .I put the nest back in the tree the best I could and this morning I checked up on them and again they did not seem hungry . Maybe they will be OK but that nest is certaily not that stable . Any ideas everyone ? At least the birds are still under a leaf canopy and in the shade . I was doing to take them to a wildlife resue or get advice from a vet . I have pictures to share but I'm waiting for the camera's batery to recharge .

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I think what you did was the best solution. no need to break up a family. Tie the nest branch in better or put it in a shallow box you can tie up better. Take babies out while working. Handling babies will NOT cause parents to reject them.

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
The hard part is to secure the nest because if there is stronger wind the nest will fall out of the tree .I'm glad I didn't prune the canopy above the nest because it is extremely hot around 37 C which is 98.6 on the Farenheit scale .I was thinking about wrapping a string over the top nest and around the branch to secure it . I never touched the babies because I thought the mother may reject them but now I know that that is not the case . Thank you MommysBird

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I hope their parents come back soon. Good thinking putting the nest back as well as possible. :tup:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
brainstorming to secure nest: first, remove babies to shady spot and work fast
-use a long upholstery needle to run butchers twine thru the bottom half of the nest and secure to branch. It is a dense grass nest and should not fall apart.
or - find a shallow wooden box or cut down height of a cardboard box that will closely fit the nest and run cord thru it to secure to tree. Then put nest and babies in.
Uncertain about cardboard box if it would get wet.
ps those are very sweet looking babies. they should fledge soon so you don't need to construct a fort, just make it so parents will feed them.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
You coul out the nest in a shallow wooden bix or crate and tie/nail the box to a strong branch.

Owl and raptor nests that fall out are replaced like that by certified rescuers where I live.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I’m a wildlife rehabber! Get a small fruit carton or a plastic box with holes in the bottom for drainage, and place the old nest with babies in it. Then wait and see if the momma comes back :)

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
It is literally impossible not to try to help these little birds unless you are heartless - especially when you have two pair of those eyes looking up at you from the nest .I think I'll skip the ice creme idea and just buy a plastic container from the supermarket . I'm trying to lose the weight I put on during the winter months . It's no fun sweating it off in the heat .

Sulphy Too

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I think birds and animals instinctively know that you are trying to help them .I have picked up a cockatoo off the road and a long time ago took an ibis with a broken wing to see the vet .Once I caught them they quickly calm down and don't put up a fight .

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you so much for the advice MNguy and Featherfuffs . Looks like I'll be eating a lot of ice cream tomorrow - then use the icecream tub to put the nest into with drainage holes of course . It was showery today but the heat will be back . What type of birds are these ?
Are they Starlings? They look like baby starlings to me but I am not positive about that.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I'm not sure what they are but they still must be getting fed by the mother because I'm sure I saw her hopping around the area and she was brown like the babies . I thought starlings were black with speckles on the breast area . Glad we wad a cool change .
I thought they were starlings so I googled pictures of baby starlings.......they do look like very similar to your birds. I really am not sure but some of the pictures were very similar.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'm not sure what they are but they still must be getting fed by the mother because I'm sure I saw her hopping around the area and she was brown like the babies . I thought starlings were black with speckles on the breast area . Glad we wad a cool change .
Starling chicks are brown. Adults are iridescent black with white tips on the chest that wear off over time. Starling Talk has series of photos of chicks in the nest to help you rule them in or out.

ps: if you don't know this already google "Mozart's starling". They're actually fascinating little birds!