• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed on new birds plz

Flutterby1

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi I'm new to bird keeping and I think I've ended up with some sadly neglected birds that need a lot of tlc and various other things when they came there were 5 adult birds in a 30by 20cm cage with saw dust and wood shavings as there bedding and over 20 toys and 2 huge swings it looked like Blackpool pleasure Beach in there I had been looking for a hen bird after taking some advice from a breeder and found these on pets4homes and only wanted 1 but ended up with 5 which I sold 2 to the local pet shop and 1 of them the lady told me was a deformed 1 that had been born that way with bad balance issues and just stayed on bottam of cage and could get to food and water OK and she said was quite happy! The 1st thing I did was put them in a much larger cage and trim there nails as 2 hen birds were so long they were curling but apart from that didn't look 2 bad apart from 1 being very overweight and had not much flight muscles as they hadn't been able to fly due to no space and the amount of toys so i had 2 in 1 cage and 2 in another 1 of them being the deformed bird I've now had them a few weeks and have treated them for scaly leg mites and a broad spectrum mite killer which was a spray I noticed the deformed 1 who I'd named bumble had bad balance issues and would often fall over on his side or back he looked to have tiny eyes and a scaby head under his feathers he's a gloster and has the bowl haircut and I've now seen he does have normal sized eyes they are just covered with feathers which I don't know if I should trim or not and today he's been really bad staggering and falling over which is very upsetting to see and we don't have a avian vet within a 5 hour radius but he is still drinking and eating and has a very good appetite and cheeps and talks quite a bit but as I say tonight I notice his bottam beak doesn't seem to me to be right as where it joins his head there's like a concave bit right at the back near where it meets his head the bottam beak this is and I carnt find much information about it so I'm asking on here for help to try and help him and to determine why this is like this and if I should trim his feathers so all of his eyes are uncovered they are all on a very varied diet and have normal canary mix with linseed and some egg food in it aswell as sunflower hearts Niger seed and blue maw seeds and also fresh fruit or veg at least once aday sometimes twice depending how quickly they eat the 1st lot they have spinach,kale,brocoli,fresh peas,apple,pear,peppers and also sprouting seed mix, nectarine so I'm hoping it's a good diet I'm giving them also I would like to know about extra egg food do you give them it straight or add water to it ? There is a little bits in there canary mix and I have offered it once but they wasn't that intrested so wondered what I'm not doing I did add a bit of water so should I leave it dry ? Also I now have bumble in a smaller cage on his own right next to the others as he was getting messed on alot by the other bird and as he struggles to keep himself clean thought this the better option for him and he's still cheeping away and they answer him back so he knows that he's not alone so any advice about his beak or trimming feathers and there diet would be greatly recieved and any advice how to make bumble not so unbalanced would be much appreciated

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Bump.
Canaries I'm going to guess.. Hope someone w/ their knowledge can help...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Maybe this would show better in the Canary forum @Zara

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would like to know about extra egg food do you give them it straight or add water to it ?
It will usually say on the package how to feed it.
I have used an egg food in the past for my lovebirds and I gave it dry.
So check and see what it says, if it says wet or dry, try it both ways and see what they take to better.

we don't have a avian vet within a 5 hour radius
Are you sure there isn´t an exotics vet? Or a regular vet that has bird experience and will treat birds?
I take my birds to a vet hospital, it´s not an exclusive avian vet.

I have moved your thread into Canary & Finch court to get better visibility. (Wellness place is for human wellness topics so some people have that on ¨ignore¨)

Flutterby1

Checking out the neighborhood
It will usually say on the package how to feed it.
I have used an egg food in the past for my lovebirds and I gave it dry.
So check and see what it says, if it says wet or dry, try it both ways and see what they take to better.

Are you sure there isn´t an exotics vet? Or a regular vet that has bird experience and will treat birds?
I take my birds to a vet hospital, it´s not an exclusive avian vet.

I have moved your thread into Canary & Finch court to get better visibility. (Wellness place is for human wellness topics so some people have that on ¨ignore¨)
Thanks for that, I rang my local vet who isn't very nice and said its only a canary for god sake it's probably just old don't worry about it there only a few pounds to buy a new 1 so that was that but I've had bumble out today and given him a thorough examination and he's coping well with the scaly leg medication and it said to put it any where else that looks crusty so I've put some on where his tail feathers start some on his head and I've had 3 of them out today and all of there beaks are shaped that way so it's obviously normal and just me being daft and not knowing but thanks for moving this into a better forum

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd report that vet to their governing college.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
The "concave area" is normal.. just part of bird anatomy.

I wouldn't trim the feathers around his eyes - it would be easy to cause a serious injury doing that.

Did the seller give you any indication of how old the birds are, other than being adults? If you can, please separate the others into their own individual cages as well. They really prefer to have their own space.

For Bumble, there are several things that could cause that sort of longstanding coordination issue, and not necessarily fixable even with a competent vet that is comfortable handling small birds. I would be a lot more concerned if this condition were new for him. I would focus on how you can make his cage comfortable for him by observing how he does get around and what, if anything, seems to contribute to him stumbling more. He may do better with a different surface at the bottom of the cage.

What is it that you're applying to his scaly patches? Is it the mite treatment? Don't go overboard with that, even if the instructions say you can. You want to use the minimum necessary dose to get the mites killed off, then use no more than once a month prophylactically. To keep their feet and legs supple once the mites are under control, you can gently massage coconut oil into the skin.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I you do use the egg food/ [moulting food, etc]- if you use it wet--- you have to be ultra sanitary to prevent any bacterial contamination. And only leave for a short time. Research!