• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed on getting a new bird

Akazee

Moving in
Hey everyone,

So recently I've been thinking of getting a new bird, a cockateil specifically. Thing is, I already have a lovebird (1 yr old), and Icarus can be pretty aggressive. He's super territorial about his cage and that one section of curtain he calls his nest, and refuses to come near any of us unless we have our arms wrapped around a blanket, and he's bitey. I'm fully prepared to go ahead and buy a completey separate cage for the cockatiel and to ensure that the two of them are never outside at the same time, and for the long patient wait to get them to tolerate one another. But Im anxious and I have feelings that this may be a bad idea. We homed another lovebird for 2 weeks once and Icarus seemed to like him, but they definitely fought with one another (nothing too bad). What do you think about this? Should I be fine getting the cockatiel, should I instead choose to get another lovebird or another breed of bird so I have a higher chance of succes or should i just stay away from the idea altogether?

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Personally, if I wanted another bird for myself, then I'd get a cockatiel. I'd keep them separate always. I can't imagine letting them interact is necessary. There are plenty of people on this site who have multiple types of birds in the same room, but in separate enclosures and they have separate out of cage time. I've heard that some birds will communicate with each other in the room while in their cages, and that's more than enough interaction without the possibility of them fighting.
That's my two cents if you're looking for a companion for YOU. If you're looking for a companion for your bird, I'd have to step back and say I'm not familiar with adding a second bird, as I've only got one. Any future birds I have most likely will not interact with the cockatiel we currently have.
Good luck making your decision!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What's wrong with the relationship you have with your bird now?

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Do you know for sure your Lovebird is a male? By the behavior, your describing it sounds like he might be a she since females are the more aggressive and territorial ones.

I would deff NOT house them together at all. Also, why do you want another bird? How is your relationship with your current bird?

What happened to the other bird that you kept your Lovebird together with?

Akazee

Moving in
I’d like to make clear that I’m not planning on housing the birds in the same cage at all and I know from experience that that is a really bad idea. I’m sorry if it came across that way. But the two of them will have their own separate cages that they’ll live in, and their own outside time. I just want advice if whether getting another bird is a good idea or not since the bird I already have is known to be aggressive and territorial.

@TikkiTembo Thank you for the informative reply! I think if I do get one, it’ll definitely be a cockatiel.

What's wrong with the relationship you have with your bird now?
It’s not that there’s something wrong with our relationship, Icarus is just a very very territorial bird and was rehomed to me from his original owner. He came with a very heavy fear of hands and gets aggressive when we bring them near him uncovered because of fear. It’s been a long process getting him to trust us but we’re getting there, we made a lot of milestones but recently, a lot of it has gotten worse due to hormones. The threads on this website have helped to fix the relationship. I’ll be looking to build our relationship more before I adopt this other bird.

Do you know for sure your Lovebird is a male? By the behavior, your describing it sounds like he might be a she since females are the more aggressive and territorial ones.

I would deff NOT house them together at all. Also, why do you want another bird? How is your relationship with your current bird?

What happened to the other bird that you kept your Lovebird together with?
I have no clue what Icarus’ gender is, he could be female who knows. I only refer to him as male since his name is more masculine.

I want another bird because I’ve been wanting a cockatiel as a companion for a long time and i’ve had my eye on this one poor fella in need of a home.

I was looking after the other bird for 2 weeks, it wasn’t ours. There was a mistake where a family member let the two of them out at the same time which resulted in a hectic afternoon spent trying to get two very unwilling birds back into their cages. during this time they fought, would preen one another and all sorts of bipolar body behaviour. when in their cages they would always sit by each other and chat.

Thank you all for the questions, I thought this thread would be overlooked!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He came with a very heavy fear of hands and gets aggressive when we bring them near him uncovered because of fear
Sounds like your bird is a hen.
Females typically charge agressively at you when scared, males will retreat and try to get as far way as possible.

If you get a cockatiel, when one bird is out for flight time, put a cotton sheet over the other cage covering the top and two sides. It will add a little security should one land on the others cage. Alternatively, you could fly one bird in a separate room. Going off what you said, your bird is one of the lovebirds who will take toes off other birds.

Akazee

Moving in
If you get a cockatiel, when one bird is out for flight time, put a cotton sheet over the other cage covering the top and two sides. It will add a little security should one land on the others cage. Alternatively, you could fly one bird in a separate room. Going off what you said, your bird is one of the lovebirds who will take toes off other birds.
Thank you for the advice. I think I'll hold off on getting the other bird, although it saddens me, but I'd rather not subject any birdie to Icarus' behaviour anytime soon.

Thank you all for the advice!