• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed: how to introduce a new member?

SharFully

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sharona
Hallo everyone,

It's been a while. Me and Ollie have settled in our new home and I was wondering how do I add another bird to the flock?

I've set my eyes on a lovie that's been in quarantine for a month, still very young as the beak still has some dark spots. Ollie is 1,5 years old.

I have a second cage where the new one could house.

But my question is, how do I introduce them to each other?

And another question is. Can they learn things from each other after? Ollie is still rather scared of my hands. Not so scared of my head it seems, she keep flying past it and nearly hitting me xD (she does it on purpose).

Thank you ❤

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've set my eyes on a lovie that's been in quarantine for a month,
In quarantine where?

Firstly you will want to put both cages in the same room on opposite sides. Hopefully the birds will show some interest in one another, maybe call back and forth, watch each other.
If you see they are happy calling to each other, and calm about being in the same room, move the cages closer. As the days go by, and you see your birds are both comfortable with the other, keep moving them closer until you have them side by side. Always leaving a good 15cm gap between cages. You can set up perches in both cages so they are level and can ¨sit¨ together.
If they are ok with the other ie not flapping around hysterically, or scrambling away from that side of the cage. Then you can allow some out of cage time. Let both birds out, but close Ollies cage when she leaves it. Do not let the younger bird go into her cage. Try to avoid the birds landing on her cage too. Try covering it with a bedsheet if you are having issues.

Have some areas set up with a large water bowl, use something that when both birds are on, they can´t reach each other, and can bathe at the same time. I sometimes use plastic plantpot plates (new ones, clean), this will give the birds opportunity to bathe, but they won´t be able to pick on the other bird and force them away because they can´t reach. My birds get along the best when they are bathing, I don´t know why.

Put some food out, two small bowls very near to each other, but not close enough that one bird can hog both bowls. Use little ramekins or something like that.

Then have some toys out, plenty of choice, try to have duplicates of things.

You want to aim to make every interaction they have with each other a positive one. So if you notice they are squabbling, try to remove the factor causing the squabble so it doesn´t happen again. For eg. both bicker over who plays with a certain toy - remove it. Both bicker over the food bowls - move them a little farther apart. And so on.

Always have millet on hand when they are out of their cage, should they come to you, you can offer treats, creating positive interactions between you.

The beauty of quarantine is that you get a good month to six weeks with the new bird alone in another part of your home to Ollie, and this gives you a chance to build a relationship with the new bird giving you a good foundation for when you introduce the birds.

SharFully

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sharona
I'm doubtful if I should at this time. Because Ollie isn't tame. I don't know how to tame her, a part of me hopes that a new one would teach her I'm not so bad but that could also backfire. So maybe not the right reasons.

I can read her quite some, but mostly when she's giving me a tantrum and wants to fly around.

I've had her since December, we've made some progress but she's still avoiding me. She was 9 months old at that time.

I'm confused... I don't know what to do.

Just let her be? I'm doing all on her terms. There are rare moments she comes a little closer to me.

Adding a new one is on the schedule, but if this is the right time. I don't know. That's why I ask.

Thank you for any form of advice. @Zara

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You could always wait, and consider adding a second bird later in the year, give yourself some more time to work with Ollie.
I don´t think there´s a right or wrong answer here. It´s impossible to predict how things will play out.

SharFully

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sharona
You could always wait, and consider adding a second bird later in the year, give yourself some more time to work with Ollie.
I don´t think there´s a right or wrong answer here. It´s impossible to predict how things will play out.
Thank you! Yes I've decided to wait a while longer. Not fully comfortable with adding a new one to our family. First us two.