• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Advice needed for a baby mousebird

JO2022

Checking out the neighborhood
I have previously reared two mousebirds that fell with their nest during a very bad storm so I have some knowledge about mousebirds. I was hence given another baby mousebird to assist with, who was discovered under a tree. It is a speckled mousebird and it already has all it's feathers so not sure exactly how old the bird is. The bird was extremely lethargic and reluctant to eat. The baby bird perked up after a few hours but again appears very apathetic and very reluctant to eat. The bird is also not pooping despite stimulation with a cottonbud. Please assist with advice and also places I can possibly take the baby mousebird to for a qualified avian vet. I am based in Pretoria, South Africa. I am currently feeding the baby bird purity, mashed papaya and water with a mixture specifically meant for birds. The baby bird also appears to have mites.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle