• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice needed about ggc hygiene ;)

AstridBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
izzy
Hi , im thinking about getting a ggc ( i also have a budgie so i know basic care for birds) but i just wanted to know:

1. other than a good full diet of pellets (e.g harrisons veg and ocassional fruit and seeds) , hand washing before and after handling the bird and washing bowls,toys, cage with disinfectant is there anything else i can do to prevent disease or illness with my ggc?

2. how often should you properly clean their cage and toys , i was thinking removing old and laying fresh top sheets of newpaper daily or when it looks needed , cleaning food bowls daily and then giving the whole cage a disinfected clean once a week. would this be ok?

3.how often should you go for vet check ups ?

Thankyou , just trying to find answers for questions the books don't usually make very clear ;)

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Hi , im thinking about getting a ggc ( i also have a budgie so i know basic care for birds) but i just wanted to know:

1. other than a good full diet of pellets (e.g harrisons veg and ocassional fruit and seeds) , hand washing before and after handling the bird and washing bowls,toys, cage with disinfectant is there anything else i can do to prevent disease or illness with my ggc?

2. how often should you properly clean their cage and toys , i was thinking removing old and laying fresh top sheets of newpaper daily or when it looks needed , cleaning food bowls daily and then giving the whole cage a disinfected clean once a week. would this be ok?

3.how often should you go for vet check ups ?

Thankyou , just trying to find answers for questions the books don't usually make very clear ;)
Clean the water and food bowl with soap and water. Aa for the vets whenever you think you bird may be I'll or once a year.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Fresh foods like veggies and fruit should be only left in the cage for about 4 hours (less if it's hot) to reduce the risk of food borne illness. Wash dishes daily, give fresh water daily. You just need to use soap and water, or the dishwasher.

You can use F10 disinfectant to sanitize but overdoing it can be as bad as not doing it at all. You can't have a healthy immune system in a bubble.

Cage papers should be changed daily, and the cage cleaned at least weekly, with spot cleaning as needed during the week. Vinegar and water (50/50) work good for routine maintenance.

As for the vet, you should take your bird when you first get them to establish a relationship with a vet, and to get baseline bloodwork. That way to know what is normal for your bird if they do get sick. Then, routine check-ups yearly are ideal, though I have done every other year unless I have a concern.