• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Advice my conure cage and toys

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Hi! I am Peaches's mom.
I'm with a green cheek conure and my bird is raising it for the first time to me. And I'm always learning a lot on this website, for example his first tent is a happy hut, I don't know this is bad and I changed tents with fleece and sea grass, and I also dowel perch when I came to buy a cage, that's my bird I didn't think it was bad for his body, but now I only need one for the feed dish and the water bowl, but I want to be comfortable with my bird's feet with vet tape. He has a train perch (t-stand), and it looks small on my bird, so I installed the playground today, but I'm happy because he seems happy (maybe..?!). My bird was particularly happy that it was made of plastic and made like a chain. FYI, I like shopping on Amazon. And I'm going to add more perches on his cage.
Give me any advice or idea for his cage, toys, perches, or everything!
I post my bird picture too so enjoy my bird picture:)
:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Attachments

KonaBird

Strolling the yard
I would recommend adding more toys in the cage. There are many amazing vendors on this forum that sell toys, natural perches, stands, and other bird supplies :)

If you’re looking to buy from Amazon, I would suggest toys like this from Planet Pleasures - https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Pleas...sprefix=Planet+pleasures,aps,185&sr=8-11&th=1

I also really like these bottlebrush perches - https://www.amazon.com/Birds-LOVE-M...=Bottlebrush+perch&qid=1595045903&sr=8-2&th=1

Ladders can be fun too - Amazon.com : Prevue Hendryx 62807 Naturals Rope Ladder Bird Toy, Large : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies

peaches13

Strolling the yard
I would recommend adding more toys in the cage. There are many amazing vendors on this forum that sell toys, natural perches, stands, and other bird supplies :)

If you’re looking to buy from Amazon, I would suggest toys like this from Planet Pleasures - https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Pleasures-Spiked-Pinata-Natural/dp/B0002FP440/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1CAAB5OLK5750&dchild=1&keywords=planet+pleasures+bird+toys&qid=1595046480&sprefix=Planet+pleasures,aps,185&sr=8-11&th=1

I also really like these bottlebrush perches - https://www.amazon.com/Birds-LOVE-Medium-Bottlebrush-Perch/dp/982249792X/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Bottlebrush+perch&qid=1595045903&sr=8-2&th=1

Ladders can be fun too - Amazon.com : Prevue Hendryx 62807 Naturals Rope Ladder Bird Toy, Large : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies
Omg thank you for your ideas! I would add more toys in his cage!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would remove the snuggle hut, and if you really think he needs one, you can buy a safe seagrass version on Amazon from Superbird Creations (another good company)

Fibers from snuggle huts can be ingested and cause issues, and loose threads can catch toes or even necks and injure your bird.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
I would remove the snuggle hut, and if you really think he needs one, you can buy a safe seagrass version on Amazon from Superbird Creations (another good company)

Fibers from snuggle huts can be ingested and cause issues, and loose threads can catch toes or even necks and injure your bird.
This one made by safe sea grass one haha. I had snuggle hut, but I replace seagrass hut for him.
Thank you!

Attachments

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A bird can still pick at and ingest the fleece fabric. I'm not a fan of sleeping huts at all and don't use them. If you must provide one, it should be made up of only seagrass with no fleece or other fabric like the one I've linked to

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
My dusky conure Sellie has had a fleece sleep tent for 19 years. I think as long as you monitor it you will be fine. Sellie will not sleep without a sleep hut, truth be told I did try to remove it at one time because I have to resew her one a couple times a year, but it did more harm than good. I honestly think that she is fine with it.

The only thing I would recommend would be to add toys, and more variety of perch type and size. I try to have a couple types of wood: thicker and thinner varieties, and different size rope perches.

Great start!

peaches13

Strolling the yard
My dusky conure Sellie has had a fleece sleep tent for 19 years. I think as long as you monitor it you will be fine. Sellie will not sleep without a sleep hut, truth be told I did try to remove it at one time because I have to resew her one a couple times a year, but it did more harm than good. I honestly think that she is fine with it.

The only thing I would recommend would be to add toys, and more variety of perch type and size. I try to have a couple types of wood: thicker and thinner varieties, and different size rope perches.

Great start!
Oh! He uses his fleece and seagrass hut for sleep because most of time he comes out his cage and plays in his playground except when he wants to take short nap. I order a lot of his toys and perches on Amazon so I am so exciting for him!
Thank you for your idea!

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
I would get rid of the tent. It can be perceived as a nest and can make your bird hormonal. Do you know for sure if he is male? If he's actually female, the last thing you want would be your bird laying eggs and ending up becoming egg bound.
I would also add in some foot toys. Conures love throwing things around. Plus, it would encourage him to go onto the floor so none of the space in the cage is unused.
Try adding in some toys made from some soft wood for your bird to destroy. Balsa, yucca, and others like that are great. My budgie loves bird kabobs. (He's currently sitting on top of the one I got him yesterday and preening. He's weird). They're pretty soft, though, so wouldn't last long before the might of a conure! :)
If you are looking for some good (and pretty cheap) toys, I'd recommend PlanetPleasures. They have awesome foraging toys.
Fill up that space! Add more perches! (Watch the rope one to make sure your bird isn't chewing on it. His nails could get stuck in the loose strings and could really hurt her feet. Also, if those loose strings are ingested, they could get stuck in his crop and kill him.) If you want to make your own natural perches, this is a great article on how to do so safely. How To Use Natural Tree Branches In Your Bird’s Cage
That looks like a fun little playground, but it's not super big for a conure. I'd get some ladders to expand it a bit or some other things to play on. My budgie's favorite thing in the world to do when he's out of his cage is to throw paper balls around. Usually off the top of his cage or the bookshelf.
Check out the YouTube channel FlockTalk for some more bird stuff. (She has a green cheek and a parrotlet). She has very good information and her videos are very informative.
I think I've looked into that cage before but decided against getting it... How's it holding up? I think that was my biggest concern based on the reviews.

Last edited:

peaches13

Strolling the yard
I would get rid of the tent. It can be perceived as a nest and can make your bird hormonal. Do you know for sure if he is male? If he's actually female, the last thing you want would be your bird laying eggs and ending up becoming egg bound.
I would also add in some foot toys. Conures love throwing things around. Plus, it would encourage him to go onto the floor so none of the space in the cage is unused.
Try adding in some toys made from some soft wood for your bird to destroy. Balsa, yucca, and others like that are great. My budgie loves bird kabobs. (He's currently sitting on top of the one I got him yesterday and preening. He's weird). They're pretty soft, though, so wouldn't last long before the might of a conure! :)
If you are looking for some good (and pretty cheap) toys, I'd recommend PlanetPleasures. They have awesome foraging toys.
Fill up that space! Add more perches! (Watch the rope one to make sure your bird isn't chewing on it. His nails could get stuck in the loose strings and could really hurt her feet. Also, if those loose strings are ingested, they could get stuck in his crop and kill him.) If you want to make your own natural perches, this is a great article on how to do so safely. How To Use Natural Tree Branches In Your Bird’s Cage
That looks like a fun little playground, but it's not super big for a conure. I'd get some ladders to expand it a bit or some other things to play on. My budgie's favorite thing in the world to do when he's out of his cage is to throw paper balls around. Usually off the top of his cage or the bookshelf.
Check out the YouTube channel FlockTalk for some more bird stuff. (She has a green cheek and a parrotlet). She has very good information and her videos are very informative.
I think I've looked into that cage before but decided against getting it... How's it holding up? I think that was my biggest concern based on the reviews.
I'm new to my bird, so I'm still immature, but I'm studying a lot. But your ideas are also very good and thank you.
I order his toys more today and I changed his cage idea everything. I remove his dowel perch on his cage and use different type of perches. Usually my bird out of cage most time except when I go to kitchen. I make different paper give him and he hold that paper in his feet. That is super cute to me:)
BTW your bird is cute!

Bookwyrm

I'm new to my bird, so I'm still immature, but I'm studying a lot. But your ideas are also very good and thank you.
I order his toys more today and I changed his cage idea everything. I remove his dowel perch on his cage and use different type of perches. Usually my bird out of cage most time except when I go to kitchen. I make different paper give him and he hold that paper in his feet. That is super cute to me:)
BTW your bird is cute!
Having a dowel perch or two isn't a bad thing, as long as you have plenty of other perches with different thickness and textures. If you want to keep in the dowel perches, you can scrape them a bit with a knife to add a bit of texture. Just don't put them in a place where your bird spends a ton of time.
My bird loves playing with paper, too. A ball of crinkled up paper entertained him for an hour this morning. (He keeps trying to hold those things in his feet, but he can't quite keep his balance while doing that.
And thank you! Your bird is adorable, too! What's his name?

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Having a dowel perch or two isn't a bad thing, as long as you have plenty of other perches with different thickness and textures. If you want to keep in the dowel perches, you can scrape them a bit with a knife to add a bit of texture. Just don't put them in a place where your bird spends a ton of time.
My bird loves playing with paper, too. A ball of crinkled up paper entertained him for an hour this morning. (He keeps trying to hold those things in his feet, but he can't quite keep his balance while doing that.
And thank you! Your bird is adorable, too! What's his name?
My bird name is Peaches. His long tail feathers color is peach. I need to put a long perch for his food bowl and water bowl far away, so I replace a rope perch 32' inch one. I put his food bowl close to water bowl, but his tail feathers kept to touch water bowl. He did not eat well when I put close to his food bowl and water bowl. He is a very untamed bird such as fly away to corner, bite my finger super pain, and scream. I did slow down to understand him and he came to me first. He is very friendly now, but he scares vacuum. I use bloom stick and dust pan. Does your bird scary fly? My bird freaks out the fly.

Bookwyrm

My bird name is Peaches. His long tail feathers color is peach. I need to put a long perch for his food bowl and water bowl far away, so I replace a rope perch 32' inch one. I put his food bowl close to water bowl, but his tail feathers kept to touch water bowl. He did not eat well when I put close to his food bowl and water bowl. He is a very untamed bird such as fly away to corner, bite my finger super pain, and scream. I did slow down to understand him and he came to me first. He is very friendly now, but he scares vacuum. I use bloom stick and dust pan. Does your bird scary fly? My bird freaks out the fly.
It might be a good idea to move the water bowl above the food bowl a little, so his food doesn't end up in his water.
I'm glad you can interact with him! Conures are super fun.
My budgie is about four months old. I got him from a chain pet store (never again) and I was super lucky that he was already hand tamed. When he's in the room he spends the most time in, very little scares him. I do roll the cage out of the room when I vaccum, though, to get under the cage. (He's going through his first molt right now, so feathers are everywhere)! When I take him down stairs, though, he is a little flighty. But parakeets are known for being pretty skittish.
Try figuring out what is scaring your bird, and then slowly introducing it to him. Don't do more than one thing at a time, though. Maybe start with the vaccum!