• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice: GCC bonded pair, death of mate

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Hey all.

Not sure where to put this. A while back I lost one of my two GCCs. They were bonded. The female, Paris, I have had for almost 13 years. She's going through a major, major molt, probably from the stress. Does anyone have tips to reduce stress and help her through her grief?

Thank you.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Bumping for visibility

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Maybe spend as much time with her as you can. Try to keep her busy with foraging toys and things like that.

@webchirp Have you dealt with this before?

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What roles did her mate play? If he was her go to toy shredder so she could play with smaller pieces, take over that responsibility. What ways did he help her? Often, bonded pairs divvy up tasks...not unlike spouses agreeing to who makes dinner vs who cleans the bathroom. So when that bond is broken, they’re grieving the loss of companionship as well as no longer having a helpmate. Do you have any other flock mates that groomed her? Played well with her? If so, that’s who she needs to be around right now. I always up the feed of the grieving sad ones too. Stress can zap weight and energy levels. Lots of bathing/showers for the moult. My avian vet has never seen a GCC older than 14/15. So at 13, it would all be about quality. Feed her what makes her grin and happy. A little extra nuts and fruit at this age!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh no...not one of yours. I'm so sorry. Change her routine and spend extra time with her. They do grieve but will eventually come out of it. The two that have lost mates here are unfortunately very hands off. So there wasn't much I could do in the way of helping. Rue has gravitated to Amada but Amada's health isn't the greatest so she will likely go through it again. I did move Bitty in with Moki into a large cage. She would like to cuddle but Bits is ouchie from arthritis and doesn't like to be over groomed. Moki had wee Lola very over preened. She liked to pluck his poor little cheek and head feathers out.

Maybe a new friend if you both would be open?

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
What roles did her mate play? If he was her go to toy shredder so she could play with smaller pieces, take over that responsibility. What ways did he help her? Often, bonded pairs divvy up tasks...not unlike spouses agreeing to who makes dinner vs who cleans the bathroom. So when that bond is broken, they’re grieving the loss of companionship as well as no longer having a helpmate. Do you have any other flock mates that groomed her? Played well with her? If so, that’s who she needs to be around right now. I always up the feed of the grieving sad ones too. Stress can zap weight and energy levels. Lots of bathing/showers for the moult. My avian vet has never seen a GCC older than 14/15. So at 13, it would all be about quality. Feed her what makes her grin and happy. A little extra nuts and fruit at this age!
Thank you so much. We are definitely doing way more time together. They preened each other a lot. She has lots of pricklies, so I'm working on her being OK with me getting to them. She is not wanting to bathe very much. She does not like our other fids at the moment. I hoped she would warm up to one, because I KNOW she is lonely.

I have read of many GCCs living into 20s so I'm praying hard she bounces back. I'm picking her up some more things today, but I'm so worried about her. She's my heart birb.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Oh no...not one of yours. I'm so sorry. Change her routine and spend extra time with her.
Maybe a new friend if you both would be open?
I want to be open to it, but she's been iffy on friends in the past/fickle with attachments. I'm considering trying to move her cage out of the bird room, but I'm concerned that could stress her more. Any input?

Thank you. I hope your flock is well.

Gigibirds

Spoil her! Just like @Sparkles! said, she's getting old. By this time she has earned the right to be spoiled, and just give her things that make her happy. Like treats, her favourite music, etc. And I know that you already are, but don't forget to spend lots and lots of time with her! She's sad, so you just want to cheer her up. I'm really sorry that you lost your bird though - it's heartbreaking, and I hope that you and your bird will feel better soon!:sadhug:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I want to be open to it, but she's been iffy on friends in the past/fickle with attachments. I'm considering trying to move her cage out of the bird room, but I'm concerned that could stress her more. Any input?

Thank you. I hope your flock is well.
I think that would be good if she doesn’t see anyone now. Watching others might distract her.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fantastic update! Good to hear!