• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for toes following bad break

ellis

Moving in
Hey there, about 2 months ago, my (then 4 month old) cockatiel suffered a horrible injury to both legs. One leg had to be amputated and the other has been in a cast since the break. He just got his cast off yesterday and we're taking things slowly. I know things won't be a hundred percent right away, but I am worried about his toes. Obviously, there was severe nerve damage, but that's not my main concern right now. My worry is the positioning of his toes. The middle two are fine and the outside toe all look to be in the right position, but the inner toe seems to be stuck facing forward instead of back. I think it's a result of how his foot has to be set in his cast, but I'm not a vet and I won't pretend to be.

Will his toe eventually settle back into position? Should I contact the vet about this? Am I just being a bit paranoid?

Also, if there's anything I can do to help encourage leg and toe strengthening, please don't hesitate to tell me. Obviously climbing is out, but I've been trying to encourage him to at least wrap his toes around my finger and he's been doing pretty good at that. His grip isn't much of a grip at all, but he can move his toes and adjust them for balance. It's not a perch by any means as I have to support him, but still. It's something.

If you'd like to see more about my bird, his instagram is pigeon.the.wonder.tiel. I have a story on there that details everything.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
:bump7:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I think you & he will have to make the most of how the foot has been set. Give him time to gain strength. Its better to have a foot than no foot as long as there is some use to it. A foot out of a cast is always weak from non use. there may be nerve damage too but if he has soem grip then thats great & hopefully it will get better,

For sure consult the vet...

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Let the vet know your concerns & see what they say as thats always best. They did the surgery & should be able to give advice & answer questions.

I would work with him on the finger so you can support him. Like when you teach a kid to ride a bike. You balance them & allow the to keep gaining the coordination to do it themselves.

I woudl set up things in the cage low so he has access to food & water & something on the bottom in case he falls. Monitor & if he seems to be falling alot then increase padding underneath & keep everything low enough so they are safe.

As far as how it is set...its healed the way it is. Might be able to do some bracing to help it but if a toe is healed in a weird way you bith are going to have to learn to live with it..

Thanks for taking care of them after such a devastating injury. Good Luck....photos would be nice..

Reactions: tka

ellis

Moving in
I think you & he will have to make the most of how the foot has been set. Give him time to gain strength. Its better to have a foot than no foot as long as there is some use to it. A foot out of a cast is always weak from non use. there may be nerve damage too but if he has soem grip then thats great & hopefully it will get better,

For sure consult the vet...
I went ahead and texted them this morning. They said to just replace it as necessary, but if I'm not holding it in place it's pointing forward. If it doesn't improve maybe the vet and I could develop some kind of brace.

ellis

Moving in
Let the vet know your concerns & see what they say as thats always best. They did the surgery & should be able to give advice & answer questions.

I would work with him on the finger so you can support him. Like when you teach a kid to ride a bike. You balance them & allow the to keep gaining the coordination to do it themselves.

I woudl set up things in the cage low so he has access to food & water & something on the bottom in case he falls. Monitor & if he seems to be falling alot then increase padding underneath & keep everything low enough so they are safe.

As far as how it is set...its healed the way it is. Might be able to do some bracing to help it but if a toe is healed in a weird way you bith are going to have to learn to live with it..

Thanks for taking care of them after such a devastating injury. Good Luck....photos would be nice..
You can see more photos on his instagram @pigeon.the.wonder.tiel, and I'll post some here of his post cast removal. I don't have any good pictures of his toe that is facing the wrong way.

Attachments

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Looks like its more a problem with the foot or ankle is they have them. don't think it is holding them up. Looks like its laying flat.

Maybe if they gain strength in the leg then the toe will be better...looks like the leg is doing it but they may need to gain strength on the leg or its hurting them of it did not set set or heal right. Vet probably did the best he could do. Ankle looks swollen.

ellis

Moving in
Looks like its more a problem with the foot or ankle is they have them. don't think it is holding them up. Looks like its laying flat.

Maybe if they gain strength in the leg then the toe will be better...looks like the leg is doing it but they may need to gain strength on the leg or its hurting them of it did not set set or heal right. Vet probably did the best he could do. Ankle looks swollen.
Sorry for late reply! It's not swelling, it's how the bones healed.