• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for rehomed buddy

KLJ

Checking out the neighborhood
hello everyone! I could really use some help with my cockatiel, Sid's behavior.

Background: Sid lived with his owner, myself and two other roommates. We're all very close friends. His owner moved and took him, naturally. The owner joined the military and the other roommates (dating) took him. With them, he lived in two different locations. Now the others are moving very far and Sid has joined my furry (and now feathery) family!

Sid has hung out with me plenty in the past, but this is a new environment with other pets and naturally it's been a long road to build up trust. We've made a lot of progress, even in the last week. He will fly to my over the other pets, and just hang on my shoulder while i do whatever it is im doing. And he's hopping off me to inspect the couch and surrounding. So I feel good about our progress within the last month or so. --

But he hates my skin. He does not like it at all. Any of it. If he's on my shoulder and gets bothered, he will "attack" the skin on my neck. I have to have a scarf or other fabric on my hands and arm for him to perch on me. When there's no skin showing, everything is fine. But he gets nervous and starts biting at my hands and arms when out. If I am wearing short sleeves, he will not walk on the part of my arm that's showing / the same with shorts.

I've been working with him eating treats from my hands and he's been willing to do that. But he's still very afraid of my bare hands and will bite pretty hard (for a cockatiel.)'

Any advice? I can't wear sweaters and gloves all summer!! (Also he likes to serenade me as you can see. Very sweet guy)

Thank you!
k

Attachments

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome! I also have a tiel that does not seem to like skin...he is my "no touch" tiel. Will not step up on my fingers...will not allow scritches. However, he will step up on my hand or arm, sit on my knee or shoulder - as long as they are covered. He does not bother my neck. I just have a hand towel handy and cover my arm or hand with the towel.

Please be very careful of the furry members of your family...even if they appear that they will not attack your tiel...even casual play with him can have serious consequences. I only have birds but many members here have lost a bird due to other family pets.

KLJ

Thank you for that!
First, I appreciate your concern of the fur and feather mixing :) Sid has always lived with dogs around, but i know it's the dog I need to watch out for. I am disabled and use a cane for stability - which serves as a good blocker and a "no" line for my dog. (Please do not think I beat him ) I've also read several articles about the dangers so i am definitely being very cautious. I know this is going to be a long process but im willing to work. His cage is hanging from the ceiling, very secure and out of reach. again, thank you for mentioning it bc it's something I'm trying to be updated on.

I guess my main confusion with Sid and my skin is that he is not like that with any of his other owners. He loves head scratches and will step up for Elaina. I myself, at Elainas have had him on my fingers and demanding head scratches. Like I said, we were all together often so i feel like something changed and I want to help him feel more comfortable.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
One of my tiels is also afraid of skin, but interesting that this behavior started since he's been at your house. Sometimes birds exhibit new behaviors when they change owners. How long have you had him? Maybe it's just the new environment and all the moving making him confused and unsure. I would say just go at his pace, and maybe in a month or two he will become more comfortable. Definitely give him a lot of special treats while he is on you or when he is in his cage. I hope he reverts back to his old self soon!

KLJ

Thank you!! This community is so welcoming & helpful!

I agree that I feel like it's something that will take time. When I have a scarf on my hand, I can see his urge for scratches and he will start to lower his head for lovin but then back off. I think we're both trying very hard! Also, we like to share bananas and watermelon

He's been with me pretty much an exact month now, btw. I just want this lil guy to feel safe! He's a sweet one, and pretty silly. :) thanks again!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Maybe get a lightweight long sleeve shirt to wear when he is out of his cage. Get a cheap one from a thrift shop and that can be your bird shirt.