• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for newly non ambulatory bird

Ashleyerin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ashley
I am writing this post for a friend who rescues parrots and is absolutely distraught over a newly non ambulatory Lorrie. Apparently the vet said he needs to be put down because it's a dislocation and can't be fixed. The Lorrie has a female mate that won't leave his side and is attacking us when we even so much as look at him. We found someone online with a similar problem that made a sling and attached it to a slippery plastic pole inside the cage so he could walk back and forth. He hobbles around but falls over and it's terrible to watch. Is there anyone with some advice? Is surgery possible? She cries every day. She gives him water by a syringe but j feel she is just hangin on by a thread before a breakdown. He seems to be thriving but he cannot get around and we hate watching him sit all day.

We Rw willing to try anything even expensive surgery.

Any advice is very appreciated!!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry to hear this. What is dislocated? Is the bird on any meds? Has she gotten a second opinion?

Ashleyerin

Real Name
Ashley
So sorry to hear this. What is dislocated? Is the bird on any meds? Has she gotten a second opinion?
I’m unsure but it isn’t something that could be casted. He was on pain medicine but when she went back to the avian vet he said the bird is past that point and isn’t in pain anymore? I don’t understand that. She has an appointment with another doctor that is one of the best but I think they are going to tell her surgery is the only way and I know she won’t be able to afford it. Idk. I’m trying g to help her all I can

Last edited by a moderator:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Another option she can look into finance wise is Care Credit. It's specifically set up to help with things like vet bills. If she pays it back within a certain amount of time, there's no interest. I am not sure why the vet would say no more pain meds are needed. I'm glad she's getting another opinion.

Ashleyerin

Real Name
Ashley
Another option she can look into finance wise is Care Credit. It's specifically set up to help with things like vet bills. If she pays it back within a certain amount of time, there's no interest. I am not sure why the vet would say no more pain meds are needed. I'm glad she's getting another opinion.
Yes! Today he went down hill fast! He is not standing up on his own. Isn’t eating. She is giving him sugar water to keep
His energy up. She is sitting here crying …but really even if he lives there is no quality of life not being able to walk etc. so unless there is some surgery that can be afforded and he could walk again

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes! Today he went down hill fast! He is not standing up on his own. Isn’t eating. She is giving him sugar water to keep
His energy up. She is sitting here crying …but really even if he lives there is no quality of life not being able to walk etc. so unless there is some surgery that can be afforded and he could walk again
So sorry to hear that. I hope she takes him asap to see another vet. I wouldn't wait.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I'm no vet so this is just my opinion, but I think that euthanasia may be the kindest decision to make for this bird, especially if it's as the vet says and there is nothing that can be done to fix the dislocation. It's incredibly sad but I think that if the vet ends up recommending euthanasia, it should be considered. It sounds like the bird is in a lot of pain and if he can't even eat on his own, that's a very bad sign. Like you said, he will probably not have any quality of life. I'm so sad for your friend and this bird to have to go through this hard time. I hope that he gets to be seen by a vet again ASAP.